ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said the club is "leaning" toward putting third baseman Adrian Beltre on the disabled list, though they haven't made any firm decision yet. Beltre suffered a mild Grade 1 strain of his left quadriceps muscle during Tuesday's game at Fenway Park.
Beltre completed a light workout Saturday that included some fielding drills, jogging, hitting off a tee in the batting cages and even participating in batting practice. As he walked to the field before BP, Beltre said he "felt a little better," but didn't get into any details.
The team has some roster flexibility, so they are waiting a few days to see if Beltre's quad improves to the point where a DL stint isn't needed. But the club also doesn't want to take any chances with its starting third baseman.
"We haven’t made that call yet," Daniels said. "That’s probably the smarter thing, to err on the side of caution. The last thing we want is to be without him for an extended period of time."
The Rangers can wait until they need to make a roster move for Colby Lewis, who starts Monday or Tuesday, before deciding on Beltre.
Beltre had an MRI on the quad Wednesday and was examined by team physician Dr. Keith Meister. The news wasn't as bad as the Rangers had expected, but enough to sideline him at least through the weekend and maybe longer.
Beltre, who turned 35 earlier this week, is used to managing leg injuries, though that's mainly with his hamstrings. The quad is a new injury for him. The strain is not in the same spot as an area of the quad that bothered him a bit during spring training, forcing him to miss a week of games.