Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Surprise Six: Wednesday's recap
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Every day here at spring training we'll recap the day for you with links in case you missed anything. Here are six items of note from today:
1. The Rangers expect Michael Young to show up on Saturday when position players are scheduled to report. The club continues to explore trade possiblities but is preparing as if Young is on the team. Read the complete story here, including quotes from GM Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington.
2. Brandon Webb believes he can be ready to join the rotation by Opening Day. The right-hander seemed very excited to be in Surprise and to be preparing for the season. I talked to Webb's dad, Philip, who catches his son during the offseason. Philip could tell a difference in Webb's throwing last month and feels his son is "over the hump." It could be critical for the Rangers' rotation if Webb shows he's ready. Webb was kind enough to shoot some video with me today at spring training as well.
3. RHP Omar Beltre will have spinal surgery next week after he was diagnosed with a genetic condition involving narrowing of the spine. The surgery will set him back at least three months and it's unclear beyond that what might happen. The Rangers don't know of any other cases of this condition, called stenosis, in baseball players. Other injury updates, including Scott Feldman probably not available until May, can be found here and also here.
4. Tanner Scheppers is being stretched out as a starter. He is still considered a candidate for the bullpen, but if he doesn't make the club, he would start in Triple-A Round Rock. Scheppers' chances of making the bullpen go up if Neftali Feliz or Alexi Ogando make the rotation.
5. We had a brief chat here on ESPNDallas.com and you can view a replay here. Connection problems shortened the chat, so we'll have another at 3 p.m. Monday.
6. Webb isn't the only other newcomer. Dave Bush and others are ready to make their mark. Here are some brief notes on them. More to come in the next few days.