Saturday, February 19, 2011
Notes: Outfield, more arrivals, golf
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Manager Ron Washington talked about Michael Young at length this morning and you can read all about that here. We'll have plenty more on Young as the day goes along. But here are a few other notes from the clubhouse that don't pertain to Young:
* Washington reiterated that his starting outfield headed into camp is Josh Hamilton in left, Julio Borbon in center and Nelson Cruz in right. "We want to give Borbon a chance to win the center field job again," Washington said. The idea is to take "some of the stress" off Hamilton in the outfield and utilize Borbon's speed.
* Washington said David Murphy will get his at-bats and is an important part of that outfield. Mitch Moreland will also get some time in the outfield.
* Esteban German arrived for camp, ready to continue a productive offseason. He was pleased with the work he got done in the Dominican Republic this winter (he played winter ball there) and wants to apply those lessons in spring training. "I feel good and I'm ready to do whatever the team needs," German said. He gave Elvis Andrus a claw and the two hugged as he walked in.
* Borbon and Murphy are expected in camp today. Murphy's wife is pregnant and due any time, so his schedule could change.
* Music was blaring for the first time during spring training thanks to Andrus, who had some tunes on his phone that he shared with the rest of his teammates. It was more lively place today, for sure.
* Brandon Webb said the soreness was gone and he was planning on pushing things a little in long toss today. He remains on schedule to throw off a mound again Sunday.
* Mark Lowe took a large group of players and coaches out to a golf club where he's a member on Friday. Among the players were Arthur Rhodes, Tommy Hunter, Mason Tobin, Darren O'Day and Eric Hurley.