Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Surprise Six: Tuesday spring training recap
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Here's your daily recap of spring training. Six things of note:
1. C.J. Wilson was named the Opening Day starter. He's certainly deserving after putting up 15 wins in 2010 and being a consistent starter.
2. Brandon Webb had another day of "heavy long toss" and felt good. He'll have a light day Wednesday before two straight days of heavy long toss and another light day. At that point, the club will reevaluate and decide if he's ready to get on a mound. So the earliest he could resume throwing off a mound would be Sunday, but that's only if pitching coach Mike Maddux and the staff decide that's the best course of action in building up Webb's arm strength. They aren't going to take any chances. Webb was on ESPN 103.3 FM and you can listen to that here.
3. Outfielder Julio Borbon continues to focus on his defense as he prepares to be the club's starting center fielder.
4. Michael Young met the 3-year-old fan (Gavin Justice-Farmer) last week before heading to spring training. Justice-Farmer's video has become a YouTube sensation. Read all about it here (including a photo of Young and Gavin and the video).
5. The Rangers signed seven more pre-arbitration players, including Matt Harrison, Tommy Hunter, Mitch Moreland and Chris Davis.
6. Davis is in camp working as a third baseman and focusing on his swing.