Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Surprise Six: Wednesday recap
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Here's a look back at some of what happened today at spring training:
1. Brandon Webb had a light day on Wednesday, throwing from about 100 feet. He was encouraged that he recovered well from two days of "heavy" long toss and is hoping to get on a mound Sunday. That has not been determined yet. The plan is that he will throw two more days of "heavy" long toss and then have a light day Saturday. If all goes well, it's possible he could get on a mound Sunday (but only if pitching coach Mike Maddux and the staff decide that's the proper course of action). Stay tuned.
2. A few Rangers will be missing some time at camp for various reasons. Michael Young will not be here the next two days because he is attending to a family matter. He is expected to return Saturday. David Murphy is the proud father of his first son and is supposed to return some time this weekend.
3. Colby Lewis says C.J. Wilson is deserving of the Opening Day start.
4. Everyone who participated in the Opening Day lottery should find out this week, maybe even as early as today, whether they won the opportunity to buy tickets. The club is no longer offering Opening Day tickets with 10-game plans, but is selling 20-game and half and full season plans.
5. Rule-5 pickup Mason Tobin did not throw Wednesday after complaining of arm soreness. More on that injury and others here.
6. RHP Seth McClung learned a lot about challenges from his stint as a girls high school basketball coach last year.
You can follow me on twitter @espn_durrett