Thursday, February 24, 2011
Injuries: Omar Beltre has spinal surgery
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Rangers pitcher Omar Beltre had spinal surgery Wednesday and could arrive in Surprise this weekend to begin his rehab. When he travels is dependent on how he feels. But he's six to eight weeks away from starting any sort of baseball activity.
Other injury notes:
* RHP Fabio Castillo (broken bone in left foot) will continue to throw off flat ground, but he is still wearing the boot at times during the day.
* LHP Miguel De Los Santos (biceps tendinitis) is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Friday.
* RHP Eric Hurley (left hamstring strain) could be on a mound Friday or Saturday for a bullpen session.
* OF Craig Gentry (broken right wrist) is still taking some light swings off a tee.
* RHP Brandon Webb was long-tossing this morning and was still out there when the clubhouse closed. We'll find out how he felt later today. The plan was for him to long toss again Friday and go light on Saturday before the club re-evaluated him. The earliest he could get on a mound is Sunday, weather permitting (there's talk of some rain that day).