Thursday, February 24, 2011
Surprise Six: Thursday camp recap
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The Rangers actually played a game Thursday. It was an intrasquad game, but there were lineups, umpires and innings. So that's a start. Here are six things to recap Thursday at spring training:
1. Ian Kinsler was the leadoff hitter for the lineup of regulars Thursday. Manager Ron Washington said that it was simply an intrasquad lineup and that we'd have a better idea of his intentions when his lineup goes up Sunday. But he said this offseason he was considering Kinsler at the leadoff spot, and Kinsler said he'd love the chance to set the tone for the offense.
2. Brandon Webb had another day of "heavy" long toss and Washington was pleased with what he saw. He's optimistic that Webb will get back on a mound soon. The earliest that could happen is Sunday. Webb is scheduled to throw long toss again Friday, have a light day on Saturday and then the club will re-evaluate things.
3. C.J. Wilson is a gamer. He showed that again Thursday by pitching well in an intrasquad game despite clearly not feeling well. Wilson had a 1-2-3 inning and Kinsler, Elvis Andrus and Josh Hamilton didn't get a ball out of the infield off him.
4. Here are some thoughts on the intrasquad game, including a sterling performance by Chad Tracy.
5. Omar Beltre had spinal surgery Wednesday and will come to Arizona when he's able to travel. Other injury notes hare here as well.
6. Andrus is focused on dealing with fatigue better, something that impacted him in 2010.