Saturday, March 12, 2011
Surprise Six: Saturday camp recap
By Richard Durrett
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Rangers beat the White Sox (with many regulars in the game at the start) on Saturday. Here were six things of note from the day (one that didn't have as much craziness as Friday):
1. Matt Harrison is really pitching well this spring training. He seems to do this every year, but something feels different to him in 2011. He's got more confidence and it's showing up in his results. He pitched four shutout innings on Saturday.
2. Adrian Beltre could play on Monday. The club will see how he feels on Sunday, but manager Ron Washington indicated that Monday looked promising and Beltre said he was hoping to play as well. He's been running the bases and did what he calls "quick reaction" movement on Saturday and felt good.
3. Omar Beltre returned to camp on Saturday after having spinal surgery. He's had some tough luck the last few years, but is keeping a good attitude. Read about him here.
4. Yoshinori Tateyama talked about the tsunami and earthquake in Japan. He said his family is OK, but that the whole thing is "sad."
5. Brett Tomko is in major league camp and the club made some other roster moves on Saturday.
6. The Rangers aren't new to spring training drama. Here's a look at what's gone on the last two spring trainings for Texas.