Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Rangers among MLB's top 2012 storylines
By Richard Durrett
ESPN.com's Buster Olney finished his rankings by position and overall teams, but adds the top-10 storylines for the 2012 MLB season. That includes the Rangers' attempt to get back to the World Series and win it. He puts that one at No. 3 (behind the rebranding of the Miami Marlins and Albert Pujols leaving St. Louis for LAA):
3. Rangers try to push the rock back up the hill, again
Texas came within one strike of winning the World Series, twice, and instead the Rangers had their guts ripped out in October for the second straight year. Right after their Game 7 loss to St. Louis, the Texas players held a brief meeting to talk about setting goals for 2012 -- but the attempt at yet another climb back to the World Series will undoubtedly be excruciating at times.
They'll have to answer a whole lot of questions with references to the Buffalo Bills, and the Angels should be improved with the additions of Pujols and C.J. Wilson. The wide expectation around the sport is that the Rangers eventually will work out a deal with Yu Darvish, along the same lines of the deal that Daisuke Matsuzaka got with the Boston Red Sox.
The other storylines:
4. Bobby Valentine in Boston
5. Will our nation's capitol become baseball's capitol?
6. Los Angeles Dodgers move on past the Frank McCourt era
7. What happens to the Oakland A's?
8. What will the Reds do with Joey Votto?
9. Milestones (mainly A-Rod climbing the all-time homer list)
10. How will the 2013 Hall of Fame candidates be treated? (Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa)
Click here to read the rest of the storylines (insider).