Monday, February 27, 2012
Surprise Six: Lots of rotation talk
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- It was a day that featured some news about the starting rotation, mainly how the starters line up for the start of the Cactus League season next week. But those starters also threw to hitters today for 10 minutes, up from the five-minute sessions last week. Here are six things from Surprise on Monday:
1. Yu Darvish's first Cactus League start is Wednesday, March 7, in Peoria against San Diego. Darvish threw 36 pitches to a couple of minor league hitters Monday and felt good after moving the screen away from him a little bit, freeing him up. More on all of that here.
2. The rotation is set for the first five Cactus League games. That includes Colby Lewis and Scott Feldman on Sunday, followed by Derek Holland and Alexi Ogando on Monday, Matt Harrison on Tuesday, Darvish on Wednesday and Neftali Feliz on Thursday.
3. The biggest position battle this spring is in center field. Here's a look at the candidates and an overview of the position.
4. LHP Joe Beimel remains day-to-day, but the organization isn't too concerned about the elbow stiffness. He could get back on the mound soon, but was not on a mound on Monday. Elvis Andrus (Plantar's wart) didn't participate in all on-field activities, but said he felt better.
5. Manager Ron Washington continues to work with the utility infielders in an effort to get a look at each of them. That's one of the open spots this spring.
6. The Rangers agreed to deals with 13 pre-arbitration players Monday, including Derek Holland and Neftali Feliz.