Thursday, March 1, 2012
Surprise Six: Let's play games, folks
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- After a week and a half of drills and batting practice, the Texas Rangers finally got in some game action Thursday. Sure, it was just intrasquad. But there were umpires and plenty of action and the players got into it (Elvis Andrus was cheerleader-in-chief). Here are six things from Surprise:
1. If the Rangers are to win the World Series this season, Mike Napoli must be a big reason why. He not only has to be a big offensive contributor but must navigate the pitching staff and play solid defense. In other words: follow a similar blueprint from last year.
2. Napoli said his ankle feels good. He got a chance to test it by catching three innings in the intrasquad game. There were good performances in that game. Check all that out here.
3. The Rangers signed all of their remaining pre-arbitration players, including Mitch Moreland and Craig Gentry.
4. Matt West is impressing scouts and teammates less than a year removed from switching from third base to the mound.
5. Catcher Yorvit Torrealba went back to his Arizona home after arriving at camp ill. He is expected to be back Friday.
6. Bryan Dolgin talks with Josh Boyd, director of pro scouting, about all things Rangers.