Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Surprise Six: Yu Darvish struggles
By Master Tesfatsion
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Pitcher Yu Darvish struggled in his second Cactus League start. Here's six things to take away from Rangers camp Tuesday:
1. Darvish had a hard time locating his four-seam and two-seam fastballs. He allowed two runs on three hits in three innings against the Cleveland Indians. Darvish also walked four batters.
2. Outfielder Craig Gentry left in the third inning with a mild left wrist sprain. X-rays were negative.
3. Pitcher Neftali Feliz will take the mound Wednesday against the Colorado Rockies. Rangers manager Ron Washington said he's pleased with Feliz's work ethic this spring.
4. Washington plans to start second baseman Ian Kinsler on Wednesday. Kinsler has missed three straight games because of mild stiffness in his lower back.
5. Shortstop Elvis Andrus has been hitting the ball well early this spring. He gained 10 pounds and worked on his swing in the offseason.
6. The Rangers' pitchers have been the worst in the American league in fielding since Washington arrived in 2007.