Thursday, March 15, 2012
Surprise Six: Martin Perez struggles
By Master Tesfatsion
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Martin Perez had a rough outing in his second Cactus League start. Here's six things -- and then some -- to take away from Thursday's action.
1. Perez only went two innings against the Oakland Athletics. He was scheduled to pitch another inning but went past his 50-pitch limit. He allowed two runs on five hits on 58 pitches.
2. Julio Borbon is trying to stake his claim to the starting spot in center field. Jean-Jacques Taylor said his job is to simply make the decision as difficult as possible this spring. General manager Jon Daniels jumped on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's Ben & Skin show to talk about the center field battle.
3. Pitcher Mike Adams was pleased with his bullpen session Thursday. He threw nothing but fastballs in an attempt to gain better command of the pitch.
4. Manager Ron Washington left Surprise on Thursday for a family emergency. He'll be back with the team Saturday in Las Vegas.
5. The Rangers traded Kelvin De La Cruz to Cleveland for cash considerations. The club also made a few other minor roster moves Thursday.
6. Director of minor league operations Jake Krug said the Rangers are looking to challenge shortstop prospect Jurickson Profar. The Rangers are keeping an open mind about where Profar plays this season.
* Robin Ventura said he doesn't care if his fight with Nolan Ryan is shown on the Rangers' video board.
* Pitching coach Mike Maddux said he can't imagine what's it's like for Yu Darvish to have to deal with all the off-field adjustments. Darvish fielded balls on the mound Thursday.