Friday, March 16, 2012
Surprise Six: Tanner Scheppers shines
By Master Tesfatsion
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Tanner Scheppers had a solid outing in relief against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Here's six things to take away from Friday's action:
1. Scheppers didn't allow a hit in two innings. Pitching coach Mike Maddux said if Scheppers can become more consistent, he'll be moving up fast.
2. Mike Napoli returned to the lineup Friday. He went 1-for-4 as the team's designated hitter.
3. Jean-Jacques Taylor shares his thoughts on Michael Young's leadership in the clubhouse. He also talked about the Rangers' bullpen. It's going to help them shut down opponents after six innings like never before.
4. Joe Nathan pitched an inning for High-A Myrtle Beach on Friday. He threw 22 pitches and gave up two walks and struck out one. Colby Lewis pitched for Round Rock in Peoria. He allowed two runs on six hits.
5. Pitcher Yu Darvish threw a bullpen session Friday morning. He'll throw again Saturday. Maddux jumped on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's Ben & Skin show Friday morning. He talked about his initial impressions of Darvish.
6. Some of the Rangers will play in Las Vegas this weekend. They have a two-game series scheduled against the Chicago Cubs. Here's the travel roster.