Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Surprise Six: Derek Holland signs deal
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Lots going on Tuesday at spring training. Here are six things of note from Tuesday in Surprise (and Mesa, where the Rangers played the Cubs):
1. LHP Derek Holland signs a five-year deal worth $28.5 million with two club options ($11 million in 2016 and $11.5 million in 2017) that could make him a Ranger for seven years. It's a great deal for the Rangers and Holland certainly feels comfortable in Texas, where he was drafted and developed.
2. Neftali Feliz did not go out for his fourth inning on Tuesday after complaining of right shoulder stiffness. He'll be evaluated further in the next few days.
3. Koji Uehara pitched his best inning of the spring Tuesday. And some other thoughts about the game.
4. The Rangers made some more cuts Tuesday, including one of the utility infield candidates.
5. Closer Joe Nathan said he isn't worried about spring results yet, but knows it's time to start putting things together better for the start of the season with just a few weeks left in spring.
6. Wednesday is an off day for the Rangers. It will give some guys a chance to rest before the final push toward the season. We will have some blog entries Wednesday, though not quite as many as a normal day.