Monday, June 4, 2012
Week ahead: Draft and Bay Area
By Richard Durrett
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Texas Rangers head to Oakland and San Francisco for a week, staying at the same hotel for seven consecutive nights, something they haven't done before. A few things to keep an eye on this week:
* While the team will play games in California, the front office will be hard at work in Arlington during the MLB draft, which starts tonight. You can read more about that here on the blog the next three days.
* Until this latest run by the Angels, the A's were the second-place team in the AL West. But losing nine of the last 10 going into Sunday's action has them fighting with the Mariners for third place.
* Going into Sunday's games, Oakland's starting pitching has a 4.12 ERA, sixth in the AL. The Rangers, BTW, were at 3.94, third in the league. Oakland's bullpen, however, is second in the AL at 2.76 ERA (Rangers are fourth at 2.82).
* The weekend sets up a rematch of the 2010 World Series and the first time, outside of spring training in Arizona, that the two teams have faced each other since that Game 5 in Arlington. San Francisco remains second in the NL West, trying to track down the Los Angeles Dodgers.
* Scott Feldman will get two starts this week as he continues to hold down the spot vacated by Neftali Feliz because of injury. While Feldman pitches, Roy Oswalt continues to stretch out as he hopes to stay on pace for an arrival in the rotation for around June 20.
* Texas was 6-4 at Oakland in 2011 (and 7-2 against the A's at home).
* The last time they played the Giants in the regular season was 2009. The club was swept in a three-game series at AT&T Park.