Monday, February 24, 2014
Notes: Tommy Hanson happy with outing
By Richard Durrett
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- While Yu Darvish was the headliner in Monday's intrasquad scrimmage -- feel free to read all about his performance here -- there was another starter hoping to continue his progression this spring.
And with Monday's news that Matt Harrison is "unlikely" to be ready to join the rotation when the season starts (there was good news in that Harrison's MRIs were clean), Hanson becomes even more important. He's expected to challenge for a rotation job and so far, he feels like he's building his arm strength and working toward improving.
Hanson threw one inning -- 11 pitches (eight strikes) -- Monday and got two strikeouts.
"Command was good, it felt really good," Hanson said. "I threw a changeup in there, a couple of good sliders, a good curve ball and I threw my fastball where I wanted it. It was a good first one."
* Darvish threw one slider and it was a nasty one to Brent Lillibridge. One scout said: "It's almost unfair that he can throw that pitch this early in spring."
* 3B Joey Gallo had a single in his only at-bat, driving in a run. Just an observation, but he looks even bigger this spring. And I mean that as a compliment. He's just a big guy, but he can move.
* LHP Pedro Figueroa has good stuff, but was inconsistent. He gave up four runs on six hits in one-third of an inning of work, but ended up getting the win. Scouts like that Figeuroa throws in the mid 90s and has breaking stuff with movement.
* The Rangers worked on situational hitting after every half-inning, sticking a runner somewhere and making the batter put the ball in play in the right spot.
* OF Engel Beltre was the only player to have two hits, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored as Team Buechele beat Team Bogar, 7-4.