Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Details of pregame events for Opening Day
The Texas Rangers announced plans for Opening Day ceremonies March 31, which include Hall of Famer Greg Maddux throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. Greg's brother, Mike Maddux, will catch the first pitch.
Some of the details of the pregame festivities (from the club's release):
* National anthem: On April 11, 1994, the Texas Rangers hosted the Milwaukee Brewers in the first regular-season game ever at The Ballpark in Arlington. The pregame ceremonies featured an unforgettable performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner" by the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, accompanied by Fort Worth resident and award-winning classical pianist, the late Van Cliburn.
Nearly 20 years later, the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, under music director Miguel Harth-Bedoya, will return to play the national anthem. The FWSO will once again perform on the field, as it did in 1994.
“It’s a great honor to celebrate this anniversary with the Texas Rangers and re-create that historic moment in memory of our dear friend Van Cliburn,” said FWSO President and CEO Amy Adkins in a release.
* Flag: A large United States flag will be unfurled in center field by soldiers from the U.S. Army Dallas Recruiting Battalion and airmen, soldiers, and marines from the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth. A large state of Texas flag will be unfurled on Greene’s Hill by members of the Dallas Recruiting Battalion. The colors will be presented by Company B of the Texas Rangers law enforcement division from Garland, Texas.
* Flyover: Following the national anthem, there will be a flyover of vintage warplanes from the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, Texas.
* Seventh-inning stretch: Country recording artist Neal McCoy will sing "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch.
* Giveaway: All fans 21 years of age and older will receive a Rangers Budweiser Opening Day magnetic schedule as they enter the park.
Please note that Globe Life Park in Arlington will have the cash parking lots open at 8 a.m. on March 31, and the gates will open at 10 a.m. Game time is set for 1:05 p.m.
Good tickets still remain for the games on April 1 and 2 against the Phillies.