Saturday, March 29, 2014
Roster: Jim Adduci over Kevin Kouzmanoff
By Richard Durrett
SAN ANTONIO -- Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington admitted that it was difficult to tell Kevin Kouzmanoff that he wasn't on the club's Opening Day roster. But the club decided to keep Jim Adduci instead, opting for his speed and left-handed bat off the bench. It doesn't hurt that he has options and the club can make future moves without losing him.
"I have no reason why Kouzmanoff didn't make this team, he did everything he could," Washington said. "But when you look at the roster, we had to try to give ourselves some flexibility."
Kouzmanoff hit .385 in 52 Cactus League at-bats with six extra-base hits and 12 RBIs. It wasn't enough, though, with Josh Wilson and Donnie Murphy already on the roster as well. Kouzmanoff is on a minor-league deal with no opt-outs, so he'll start the season in Triple-A Round Rock. But, as Washington made clear, this will be a very fluid roster early this season.
Other roster moves:
• The other big question going into the day was who would make the final bullpen spots. That goes to Shawn Tolleson and Seth Rosin, a Rule-5 pickup from the Phillies who must appear on the roster this season or be offered back to Philadelphia for $25,000. Tolleson gave up one earned run in four Cactus League innings and impressed coaches in various other appearances this spring.
Washington said he's only had a chance to see a little bit of Rosin and is curious to see what else he has.
"He continues to get outs," Washington said. "He showed a good slider today. I just hope he continues to get outs the way he has."
So the bullpen:
• The club will carry three catchers on Opening Day, mainly because they have to keep Chris Gimenez on the roster to start the season since they claimed him off waivers so late and he doesn't have any options. J.P Arencibia, who will start on Opening Day, and Robinson Chirinos are the other catchers on the roster.
• Texas will officially put Yu Darvish, Geovany Soto, Matt Harrison and Jurickson Profar on the disabled list Sunday. Darvish will be back-dated and is eligible to come off the DL on April 5.
• The Rangers will also DFA Adam Rosales on Sunday and assign Nick Martinez to Double-A Frisco. He'll join the big club in time for Saturday's start against Tampa Bay, forcing the club to make another move then.
• Colby Lewis was part of a large group assigned to Triple-A Round Rock. That also included LHP Ryan Feierabend, RHP Justin Germano, RHP Daniel McCutchen, C Chris Snyder and INF Kensuke Tanaka.
• Washington said he hasn't decided who will start at second base (either Josh Wilson or Donnie Murphy) or at designated hitter (Michael Choice or Mitch Moreland) on Opening Day.
• There are 17 new players on this Opening Day roster from last year.