Texas Rangers: bench
Today's position: Bench
A good bench can be critical for a manager, even one on in the AL. So based on the various combinations of folks at catcher, infield and outfield, here's how that bench could look (at least at this moment) in 2013. A few things:
* A.J. Pierzynski is the starting catcher with Geovany Soto expected to handle most of Yu Darvish's starts. So when Pierzynski is in there, Soto and his right-handed bat will be on the bench.
* Assuming Justin Upton, Michael Bourn or someone else doesn't show up in Surprise to play center, Leonys Martin and Craig Gentry seem destined to platoon out there (as we discussed Tuesday). That means one of them will be on the bench while the other is playing. Martin is a left-handed batter and Gentry is a right-handed hitter. Both can run and could be in position to pinch-run late. Gentry also was a late defensive replacement many times in 2012. Gentry is 4-for-20 as a pinch-hitter in his brief career, by the way.
|New Rangers catcher A.J. Pierzynski joins Ben and Skin to discuss what attracted him to the Rangers, the influence he could have on the clubhouse and what he expects from the Rangers this season. |
* Could Leury Garcia surprise folks and push for a roster spot? If he did, would he get enough playing time for that to be worth it?
* We could see times when Mitch Moreland is on the bench against certain left-handed pitchers with perhaps Pierzynski playing first base or even Lance Berkman later in the season if his knees are OK.
* Other names headed to spring training: outfielders Aaron Cunningham and Jim Adduci. We'll see what they've got in terms of depth.
It will be interesting to see how the bench shakes out and if the Rangers will make additions and alterations to it. In past spring trainings, we've seen the utility infield spot go down to the wire with candidates coming in and out of camp. And it could be a spot that the club looks to upgrade at the trade deadline, depending on how things are going.
Who do you think gets the utility infield spot?
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.