Stars down Hurricanes in shootout
December, 10, 2010
By Mark Stepneski | ESPNDallas.com
The Dallas Stars ran their points streak at home to 10 games (9-0-1) with a 2-1 shootout victory over the Carolina Hurricanes at American Airlines Center Friday night. Andrew Raycroft stopped 22 shots in the game and all three shots in the shootout. James Neal scored the Stars’ goal in regulation and Brad Richards scored in the shootout and had an assist in the game.
The Dallas Stars lead the Carolina Hurricanes 1-0 after one period of play at American Airlines Center.
There was a lot of pace to the period, but each team only registered five shots on goal and only one made it past a goaltender.
The Stars scored that goal at the 9:39 mark when Brad Richards put a shot on net from the left point and James Neal got the rebound and lifted snapped the puck over Carolina goalie Cam Ward from close range.
Some notes from the first period:
- The Stars were 0-2 on the power play in the period and the Hurricanes were 0-1.
- The Stars won 8 of 17 faceoffs in the period.
- D Maxime Fortunus was a healthy scratch for the Stars. G Kari Lehtonen (back), F Toby Petersen (hand), F Krys Barch and D Mark Fistric (conditioning assignment) were also out for the Stars.
The Dallas Stars and Carolina Hurricanes are tied 1-1 after 40 minutes of play at American Airlines Center.
After the Stars missed on their third power play chance of the game and Stephane Robidas hit a post and had the puck skip along the goal line, the Hurricanes drew even at 9:03 of the second period.
Following a Stars’ turnover at the Carolina blue line, Troy Bodie set up Jiri Tlusty, who beat Stars goalie Andrew Raycroft with a shot from the slot to make it a 1-1 game.
Some notes following two periods:
- Jere Lehtinen, who retired earlier this week, was in attendance at the game. There was a brief video tribute to the 1999 Stanley Cup champion and three-time Selke Trophy winner. When Lehtinen was shown on the scoreboard he received a lengthy standing ovation from the crowd.
- The Stars outshot the Hurricanes 11-9 in the second period and have a 16-14 advantage for the game.
- Both teams are 0-3 on the power play in the game.
- The Stars have won 16 of 32 faceoffs.
The Stars had one power play in the period and the Hurricanes had two, but neither team could cash in on the chances and the game remained 1-1 at the end of regulation. The Stars have a 7-5 shots advantage in the period.
The Stars had several great chances in overtime, but Cam Ward stopped Mike Ribeiro and then two rebound attempts by Brenden Morrow. Ward came up big less than a minute later, stopping James Neal on a wrap-around and then Brad Richards on the rebound.
Andrew Raycroft and answered Ward’s brilliance, making a spectacular glove save on Joe Corvo with 42.4 seconds remaining in overtime to keep it a 1-1 game and get the Stars to a shootout.
Eriksson, Dallas: Ward made poke check save, Tied 0-0
Jokinen, Carolina: Wrist shot, save Raycroft, Tied 0-0
Richards, Dallas: Wrist shot beat Ward blocker side, Dallas 1-0
Skinner, Carolina: Wrist shot, save Raycroft, Dallas 1-0
Ribeiro, Dallas: Wrist shot, Ward pad save, Dallas 1-0
Staal, Carolina: Wrist shot, save Raycroft, Dallas wins 1-0