<
>

Notes: Spence to face Bundu in title eliminator

Welterweight Errol Spence Jr. will face Leonard Bundu in a world title eliminator on Aug. 21. Ed Diller/DiBella Entertainment/Premier Boxing Champions

A few notes from around the boxing world:

  • Welterweight Errol Spence Jr. (20-0, 17 KOs), the 2015 ESPN.com prospect of the year, will face Italy’s Leonard Bundu (33-1-2, 12 KOs) in a world title eliminator on Aug. 21 on a special Sunday night edition of Premier Boxing Champions on NBC in prime time, multiple sources with knowledge of the deal told ESPN.com. The fight has not been officially announced yet, but the deal is done, the sources said, and Spence has already announced that his next fight is on that date on NBC. The likely venue for the card is the new Amphitheater at Coney Island Boardwalk in Brooklyn, New York, which opened last week. It is a 5,000-seat covered open-air venue that will have its naming rights deal put together by Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment, which controls Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, the Brooklyn Nets and the New York Islanders and is also renovating the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Long Island. Just as it is at Barclays Center, boxing will be part of the regular offerings at the Coney Island venue and Nassau Coliseum, according to CEO Brett Yormark. The Spence-Bundu winner will become the mandatory challenger for the belt held by England’s Kell Brook (36-0, 25 KOs), who is first due to face Jessie Vargas in a title unification bout in September.

  • Although the Vargas-Brook welterweight unification fight is signed and due to take place in Brook’s hometown of Sheffield, England on Sept. 10 the date might change. If a fight between unified middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin and England’s Chris Eubank is finalized – and the sides are close – it would take place Aug. 27 on Sky Box Office pay-per-view in the United Kingdom. That would push Brook-Vargas to Sept. 24 so there would not be two Sky Box Office pay-per-view events in the same month.

  • Junior featherweight Jessie Magdaleno (23-0, 17 KOs), 24, of Las Vegas, who looms as a mandatory challenger for titleholder Nonito Donaire later this year, has changed trainers. He has parted ways with Joel Diaz to go with Manny Robles, who trains out of the Rock Gym in Carson, California. Among the other fighters Robles trains are heavyweight Dominic Breazeale (who was knocked out in the seventh round on Saturday challenging for a world title against Anthony Joshua), featherweight contender Oscar Valdez, light heavyweight contender Vyacheslav Shabranskyy and middleweight prospect Jason Quigley.