<
>

Notes: Rigondeaux, Dirrell, more

9/3/2014
Junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux continues his search for a primary promoter. Chris Farina/Top Rank

A few notes from around the boxing world:

• With music mogul Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports new on the boxing promotion scene and looking to sign fighters, it made an offer to unified junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (14-0, 9 KOs), whose contract with Top Rank recently expired (although he is still with co-promoter Caribe Promotions). The offer, however, was withdrawn last week because of difficulties dealing with Caribe, which is basically a promoter in name only. According to the Rigondeaux camp, British promoter Frank Warren has also made an offer. Rigondeaux has a mandatory defense due next against Chris Avalos (24-2, 18 KO).

• Light heavyweight Andre Dirrell (22-1, 15 KOs) returned from an 18-month layoff on Aug. 1 to knock out Vladine Biosse in the fifth round on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" in just Dirrell's second fight since 2011. But the 2004 Olympic bronze medalist and former super middleweight world title challenger likely will be back in action quickly. He is expected to appear Oct. 8 (ESPN2) in the co-feature of the card headlined by middleweight titlist Sam Soliman's defense against former undisputed champion Jermain Taylor in Biloxi, Mississippi.

• The all-Polish heavyweight showdown between 25-year-old Artur Szpilka (16-1, 12 KOs) and fading 37-year-old Tomasz Adamek (49-3, 29 KOs), which has been in the works since mid-July, is just about set and expected to be formally announced early next week. The scheduled 10-rounder, which is being bankrolled by Polish network Polsat, is slated to take place Nov. 8 in Krakow, Poland. It's a fight that shapes up as an all-action affair. Adamek is coming off a decision loss on March 15 to Vyacheslav "Czar" Glazkov, who dished out a lot of punishment. Szpilka got knocked out in the 10th round by unbeaten Bryant Jennings in his last fight in January.

• Interim cruiserweight titlist Youri Kalenga (20-1, 13 KOs), who is from Congo but lives in France, will make his first defense against Denton Daley (12-0, 6 KOs) on Nov. 15 at the Hersey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario. United Boxing Promotions is billing the bout as the first world title fight (albeit interim) to be held in Mississauga, as well the first in Ontario for more than four years, since former junior featherweight titlist Steve Molitor's heyday.

"Daley is a good technical fighter with some decent skills," said Kalenga, who claimed the vacant belt by outpointing Mateusz Masternak on June 21 in Monte Carlo. "He has never faced any opponent like me and once he feels my big punch power he will lose touch of all his skills."

Daley is from Ontario and he's excited to get the opportunity in front of his crowd.

"I'm very excited that Kalenga [agreed] to take the fight in my hometown as it means a lot to me and, more importantly, my fans," Daley said. "Ontario has been waiting for something like this to happen for a while now and I'm the perfect person to deliver because I don't shy away from hard work. Getting this victory will be huge for me and the people of Ontario."