<
>

Notes: Brook-Bizier purse bid scheduled

Welterweight titlist Kell Brook could face mandatory challenger Kevin Bizier on March 26. Ethan Miller/Getty Images

A few notes from around the boxing world:

  • Welterweight titlist Kell Brook (35-0, 24 KOs), of England, is due to face mandatory challenger Kevin Bizier (25-2, 17 KOs), of Quebec, in his next fight. The sides are negotiating the bout, but if they do not make a deal the IBF said a purse bid is scheduled for Jan. 12. If it goes to a purse bid, Brook, as the titleholder, is entitled to 75 percent of the money, with Bizier to receive the remaining 25 percent. Brook will be making his third title defense. He was forced to cancel an Oct. 24 defense against Diego Chaves when he suffered a rib injury during training camp. Bizier knocked out Fredrick Lawson in the 10th round on Nov. 7 in a title elimination fight to become the mandatory challenger.

  • Promoter Lou DiBella announced on Wednesday the undercard that will accompany the heavyweight world title doubleheader topped by titlist Deontay Wilder against Artur Szpilka and the vacant title bout between Vyacheslav “Czar” Glazkov and Charles Martin in the co-feature on the Jan. 16 card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Although Showtime will televise the two title bouts, there will be no Showtime Extreme coverage of the preliminaries for this card, which will include female featherweight titleholder Amanda Serrano (26-1-1, 19 KOs) defending in her hometown against Ghana's Helen Joseph (12-3-1, 7 KOs) and cruiserweight Mike Lee (15-0, 9 KOs), the Notre Dame graduate and Subway pitchman, in an eight-rounder against an opponent to be determined. In another undercard fight, heavyweight Adam Kownacki (12-0, 10 KOs), a popular draw in the Polish community, will face Danny Kelly (9-1-1, 8 KOs) in an eight-round bout.

  • Former bantamweight titlist Paul Butler (20-1, 11 KOs), now fighting as a junior bantamweight, will box in the co-feature of the Terry Flanagan-Derry Mathews lightweight title bout on Feb. 13 at Echo Arena in Liverpool, England, promoter Frank Warren announced. Butler, who has won three fights in a row since an eighth-round knockout loss to Zolani Tete cost him his title in March, will face an opponent to be determined.