<
>

Judah to face Green in return to the ring

Former two-division titleholder Zab Judah, who has been out of the ring since December 2013, will return in February. Alex Menendez/Getty Images

Promoter Greg Cohen, who put on cards on CBS Sports Net last year as part of a time-buy deal with the network, is planning more for 2016 in a co-promotional venture with Roy Jones Jr. Boxing Promotions.

Cohen and Roy Jones Jr. Boxing Promotions CEO Keith Veltre announced the deal on Monday, which calls for at least one show per month for the next year beginning with a Feb. 19 card, which will take place at the WinnaVegas Casino & Resort in Sloane, Iowa.

That card has not been formally announced, but Zab Judah (42-9, 29 KOs), the former undisputed welterweight champion and three-time junior welterweight titleholder, is slated to headline against Virgil Green (11-4, 4 KOs), of Vancouver, Washington, in a 10-round junior welterweight bout.

"I could not be happier about teaming up with such a first-rate promotional outfit as Roy Jones Jr. Boxing and their team to present 12-15 outstanding boxing shows in the next 12 months," Cohen said. “We've had great success with last year's CBS Sports Network shows, but the addition of such a world-renowned name as Roy Jones adds a strong element of greatness to each presentation. And the addition of the RJJ stable of fighters makes the possibility for several exciting matchups.”

Said Veltre, 27: “I am excited about this new avenue to showcase the RJJ roster to the boxing world. My thanks to Greg Cohen and the team at CBS Sports and I look forward to being part of this exciting series of shows, as a promoter and as a lifelong fan of boxing."

Judah, 38, of Brooklyn, New York, has not fought since a decision loss to Paulie Malignaggi in a December 2013 battle for Brooklyn bragging rights. Judah signed with Cohen last year but has had two scheduled bouts canceled.

He was initially scheduled to return in September in Westbury, New York, but he got into a scuffle with opponent Hevinson Herrera at the weigh-in the day before the bout. Herrera claimed he suffered an injury during the scuffle and could not fight, so the bout was canceled, although the rest of the card went on as scheduled.

Then he was scheduled to face former junior lightweight titleholder Juan Carlos Salgado in November in Las Vegas, but the bout was scrapped when Salgado, claiming an ankle injury, dropped out less than a week before the fight.