- Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
The Nevada State Athletic Commission was busy at Friday's monthly meeting.
Middleweight champ Sergio Martinez, former junior middleweight titlist Joachim Alcine and former flyweight titlist Eric Morel, who are all past their 35th birthdays, were approved for licenses for upcoming fights. That's the age in Nevada at which a fighter needs full commission approval, rather than just filling out an application, paying the $25 fee and submitting their medical paperwork. The older fighters also require more extensive medical testing.
But now Martinez is good to go for his middleweight championship showdown with titlist Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Top Rank's Sept. 15 HBO PPV card at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Former junior middleweight titlist Alcine is set for his fight with middleweight contender Matthew Macklin on the undercard.
Morel was formally cleared to challenge bantamweight titlist Leo Santa Cruz on Golden Boy's competing Showtime card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Another significant order of business at the meeting was for the commission to assign officials to a slew of notable bouts taking place in Nevada. Here is a list of the fights and the officials assigned:
• Martinez-Chavez Jr.: referee Tony Weeks, judges Stanley Christodoulou, Adalaide Byrd, Dave Moretti.
• Miguel Beltran Jr.-Roman Martinez (vacant junior lightweight title bout Sept. 15 at Thomas & Mack): referee Russell Mora, judges Clark Sammartino, Duane Ford, Lisa Giampa.
• Saul "Canelo" Alvarez-Josesito Lopez (junior middleweight title bout Sept. 15 at the MGM): referee Joe Cortez, judges Dick Flaherty, Burt Clements, Glenn Trowbridge.
• Jhonny Gonzalez-Daniel Ponce De Leon (featherweight title bout Sept. 15 at the MGM): referee Kenny Bayless, judges David Sutherland, Dick Houck, Jerry Roth.
• Santa Cruz-Morel: referee Vic Drakulich, judges Alan Davis, C.J. Ross, Patricia Morse Jarman.
• Randall Bailey-Devon Alexander (welterweight title bout Sept. 8 at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas): referee Jay Nady, judges Houck, Moretti and Morse Jarman.
• Ajose Olusegun-Lucas Matthysse (vacant interim junior welterweight title bout Sept. 8 at the Hard Rock): referee Mora, judges Byrd, Roth, Robert Hoyle.
• The commission also assigned judges to the Guillermo Rigondeaux-Robert Marroquin junior featherweight title bout, which is scheduled to take place on the Sept. 15 Thomas & Mack card but likely will be canceled due to a court ruling. But the commission is ready if the fight happens, having appointed referee Robert Byrd and judges Glenn Feldman, Ricardo Ocasio and Hoyle.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission was busy at Friday's monthly meeting.Middleweight champ Sergio Martinez, former junior middleweight titlist Joachim Alcine and former flyweight titlist Eric Morel, who are all past their 35th birthdays, were approved for licenses for upcoming fights.