Wonjongkam announces retirement

A veteran of 93 fights, Thai legend Pongsaklek Wonjongkam has announced his retirement at 35. Saeed Khan/AFP/Getty Images

Maybe he will change his mind like many fighters do, but former two-time flyweight titleholder and Thai legend Pongsaklek Wonjongkam has announced his retirement, according to the Bangkok Post.

The 35-year-old Wonjongkam, with 93 fights to his credit, suffered a punishing third-round knockout loss to Filipino opponent Rey Migreno (18-20-3, 16 KOs) -- whom he had already easily beaten twice -- on Wednesday in Thailand. It was the second knockout loss this year for Wonjongkam.

According the English-language newspaper, Wonjongkam told his handlers that it was up to them if he should continue his career and that his manager, Wirat Wachirarattanawong, said this was the right time for him to retire.

If Wonjongkam (86-5-2, 46 KOs) really is done -- and it's OK if you are skeptical like I am -- than he had one helluva career, even though he never became a big name outside of Asia.

He was unbeaten from 1996 to 2007 and during his first title reign from 2001 to 2007 he made a division-record 17 defenses while fighting several quality contenders, although he never had a superfight. In 2010, he regained his old belt and made four more defenses before the first of his two upset losses this year.

I believe he should be a lock for eventual election to the International Boxing Hall of Fame.