Arslan angling for Huck rematch
April, 2, 2013
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com
Thomas Starke/Bongarts/Getty ImagesFirat Arslan, right, pushed Marco Huck to the brink last year, and now he's a step closer to a rematch.
In November, former cruiserweight titlist Firat Arslan of Germany engaged titleholder Marco Huck in a brutal slugfest, one of the most action-packed fights of 2012. Huck won a highly competitive unanimous decision, but Arslan, who looked as good as ever at age 42, fought very, very well.
Frankly, the fight could have gone either way, but Huck got the decision.
A rematch was clearly warranted, but it was unlikely to happen because Sauerland Event, Huck's promoter, didn't promote Arslan and had other plans for Huck.
But on Tuesday, the possibility of a rematch became more realistic when Sauerland Event announced that it has signed Arslan (32-6-2, 21 KOs) to a promotional contract. Now that Huck and Arslan are with the same company, a rematch is far more likely.
"A rematch is definitely something I look forward to," Arslan said of a potential sequel.
Arslan's first fight with Sauerland Event will take place April 27 against an opponent to be determined at the Sporthalle in Hamburg, Germany, on the undercard of Juergen Braehmer's European light heavyweight title defense against Tony Averlant.
Arslan wants another world title after first winning a cruiserweight belt against Virgil Hill in 2007 (which he lost in his second defense 10 months later, to Guillermo Jones).
"I became a world champion at the age of 37. Now it's my goal to win a world championship again," Arslan said. "Team Sauerland is the perfect partner to fulfill that goal. They already have some world-class cruiserweights under contract."
Besides Huck, Sauerland Event also promotes titleholder Yoan Pablo Hernandez, who would be another potential opponent for Arslan.