Promoter denying Darchinyan his revenge

February, 10, 2009
2/10/09
11:53
AM ET
Your weekly random thoughts:

• After watching junior bantamweight champion Vic Darchinyan ravage Jorge Arce last week for 11 lopsided rounds, which followed Darchinyan's destruction of Cristian Mijares in November, every fight fan I know wants to see Darchinyan seek revenge against flyweight titlist Nonito Donaire, who won his belt by knocking Darchinyan into another dimension in the fifth round of his only loss, which came in July 2007.

But this being boxing, Darchinyan promoter Gary Shaw refuses to entertain the notion of a rematch because Donaire left Shaw when his contract was up and signed with Bob Arum's Top Rank.

It makes Shaw look petty and makes Darchinyan look like he's avoiding a rematch with the only man who has beaten him. Darchinyan says he wants to move up in weight and challenge for a title at bantamweight or even at junior featherweight, which is all well and good. But Donaire will always haunt him. Shaw doesn't seem to care. When Showtime's Jim Gray appropriately asked Darchinyan about a rematch with Donaire in their postfight interview, Shaw quickly interrupted without allowing Darchinyan to answer the question.

"Not a chance," Shaw interjected. "I don't care what he says. You don't reward disloyal people. I can give him Fernando Montiel, I can give him Rafael Marquez, I can give him Israel Vazquez. I can give him a hell of a fight."

That may be true, and they all might be terrific, interesting fights. But none of them is Donaire, the fighter Darchinyan needs to fight again.

• I was pretty impressed with the toughness shown by lightweight Antonio DeMarco in his ninth-round TKO of "Kid Diamond" Almazbek Raiymkulov on the Darchinyan-Arce undercard. DeMarco had some exciting fights on "ShoBox," but I wasn't sure if he would become a serious contender. After taking care of Raiymkulov in good fashion, he definitely is someone to watch for at 135 pounds, a division that has a lot of young talent.

• Have to give props to my ESPN programming colleagues for stepping up their game in March, when we'll get not only Vitali Klitschko's heavyweight title defense against Juan Carlos Gomez on ESPN (March 21), but also a significant heavyweight fight between former titlist Samuel Peter and contender Eddie Chambers in an outstanding "Friday Night Fights" main event on ESPN2 (March 27). Keep it up.

• I was one of presumably dozens who ordered last Saturday's Ruslan Chagaev-Carl Davis Drumond pay-per-view card from Germany. I had very low expectations for the fight, and I'm glad, because it stunk. There was one fight on the card, however, that I was really looking forward to: Andreas Kotelnik's junior welterweight title defense against big puncher Marcos Maidana. I expected it to be the fight of the card, and it was excellent. The only problem: By the time the pay-per-view telecast began, the fight was already at the end of the second round. That's like buying a movie ticket, getting to the theater right on time and having the flick start 15 minutes in. The reason I was given was that the timing of the card was dictated by the German television network carrying the fight, which had zero regard for the international audience. Whatever the reason, it was unacceptable.

• If you haven't been watching HBO's "Ring Life," you're missing some great stuff. It's an online documentary series that profiles fighters in their daily lives, balancing boxing with day jobs and family in three four- to six-minute segments. It's outstanding. A new segment premiers each Monday through April on HBO.com (and becomes available later on HBO On Demand). Among the fighters featured so far: Nate Campbell, Ronald Hearns, Cris Arreola, Dmitriy Salita and Omar Sheika.

• After that stinker Henry "Sugar Poo" Buchanan turned in against Andre Ward on "ShoBox," Showtime's Steve Farhood came up with a new name for him. He's going with "Sugar Pewwwwwwwwwwwwwww." I second the motion.

• Although it would be better if it weren't on pay-per-view, I really like the sound of Golden Boy's April 4 lightweight card. In the proposed main event between Edwin Valero and Antonio Pitalua, someone is getting knocked out. Two of the other fights, on paper, also look like entertaining slugfests: Jorge Barrios against Carlos Hernandez and Michael Katsidis against Jesus Chavez. These aren't the biggest, most significant fights in the world, but each of them figures to be action-packed.

• For some reason, I actually believe Joe Calzaghe is retired for good and not coming back. As for the other guy, Floyd Mayweather, he'll be back eventually, as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow.

• David Haye is off the hook. I find Carl Froch's nonsensical trash talk about Jermain Taylor even more annoying than the smack Haye has directed toward Wladimir Klitschko.

• Here's an idea: Since junior middleweight titlist Daniel Santos keeps turning down fights, as does former titleholder Sergio Mora, maybe they could fight each other? First guy to pull out loses.

• Paging Vernon Forrest. ...

• You'd think that with all the shows Top Rank puts on, it could find a fight for welterweight titleholder Joshua Clottey.

• The new administration of the Boxing Writers Association of America is at it again. Not long after blatantly disenfranchising several long-standing members from voting in the officer elections in a reprehensible move akin to some of the scandalous activities of the sanctioning bodies, now it has blown it again. Typically, the BWAA annual dinner honoring the previous year's fighter of the year and various other award winners takes place in the spring. But not this year. It will be held in New York, pushed all the way back to June 12 -- which conflicts with the start of the annual Hall of Fame induction weekend -- when the obvious time to put it on would have been May 1 in Las Vegas, the night before the Ricky Hatton-Manny Pacquiao fight.

• DVD pick of the week: There were few fighters more fun to watch than Felix Trinidad, whom I had the great privilege of covering from ringside for many of his biggest fights. But one of my favorite Trinidad performances happened long before I covered boxing. I dipped into the archive and went back to June 19, 1993, at the San Diego Sports Arena. That's when Trinidad was a skinny, powerful 20-year-old challenging Maurice Blocker for a welterweight title on a Showtime undercard (for those searching their memory, the main event was Terry Norris versus Troy Waters). Trinidad was sensational. He devastated Blocker, a fine fighter in his own right, in two rounds to claim the title. It was the first of many great championship knockouts for "Tito."

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?