- Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
In July 2011, Tyson Fury outpointed an out-of-shape Dereck Chisora in a crowd-pleasing fight between two of Great Britain's best heavyweights. If things work out, the world contenders could be on their way to a June rematch.
Chisora (19-4, 13 KOs) has won four fights in a row since a knockout loss to former world titleholder David Haye in July 2012, and he is aiming to win a fifth consecutive fight on Feb. 15 when he defends his European title against Ukraine's Andriy Rudenko (24-0, 16 KOs) at the Copper Box Arena in London.
Fury (21-0, 15 KOs), whose career has been stalled since last April because Haye pulled out twice from their scheduled fight, could appear on the card as well, with the idea being that if he and Chisora both win they could meet again in what would be a big fight.
Frank Warren, Chisora's promoter, announced on Wednesday that he had come to an agreement with Fury promoter Mick Hennessy for Fury to be on the card.
"The plan is for both of them to come through their fights on the night and then the pair will meet in a massive rematch in June," Warren said. "Because it's the biggest fight out there for them and it's a fight that the public want to see, the only place for it to happen would be a football stadium, a real summer extravaganza between the big men of British boxing, before the World Cup. Tyson beat Dereck a few years ago, and since then both of them have come on. Tyson has done fantastic, winning both here and abroad, and has marked himself as one of the world's most exciting heavyweights.
"Dereck's performances have been spot-on recently, his weight is right and so is his attitude and focus, and he's a real handful for any heavyweight out there. I'm already excited by it. Chisora versus Fury is the biggest fight out there and it could certainly be a world title eliminator. But plans can be upset, though. Chisora has a by-no-means-easy fight against a hard and undefeated Ukrainian in Rudenko."
Hennessy said that although the plan is being considered, it isn't set just yet, contrary to Warren's announcement.
"We have had a verbal offer from [British boxing subscription network] BoxNation for Tyson to appear on three of their shows, but as yet have not received any contract to look at and consider," Hennessy said. "Until something is agreed in writing and signed into, myself, [Fury manager and uncle] Peter Fury and Tyson are still keeping our options open. We were told it would be 48 hours before we even receive any paperwork to look at, and we are still awaiting any such communication.”
Super middleweight prospect Billy Joe Saunders was supposed to appear on the Feb. 15 card to defend his British and Commonwealth middleweight titles, but he has withdrawn because a hand injury suffered in his previous fight is still not healed.