K. Martinez, Moreno defenses set

February, 5, 2014
Feb 5
4:52
PM ET
World title bouts involving junior featherweight Kiko Martinez and bantamweight Anselmo Moreno are set.

Martinez co-promoters Sampson Lewkowicz and Gary Shaw announced last month that contracts had been signed with Teiken Promotions’ Akihiko Honda for Spain’s Martinez to make his second defense against former bantamweight and featherweight titlist Hozumi Hasegawa (33-4, 15 KOs) of Japan. The missing elements were the date and where in Japan the bout would take place.

On Wednesday, Shaw told ESPN.com that the bout will take place April 23 in Osaka.

Martinez (30-4, 22 KOs) has been a world traveler throughout his career. Japan will be the ninth country in which he will have fought.

Moreno (34-2-1, 12 KOs), the technical southpaw from Panama, will make the 12th defense of his 118-pound title against Argentina’s Javier Nicolas Chacon (19-1, 4 KOs) on March 22 at the Roberto Duran Arena in Panama City, Lewkowicz, Moreno’s promoter, told ESPN.com.

Moreno has held his world title since 2008, losing only a decision to Abner Mares in Los Angeles in November 2012 when he moved up to challenge for Mares' junior featherweight belt. Moreno returned to bantamweight after that fight and easily outpointed William Urina in Panama in August.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.