Orozco-Honorio postponed

April, 25, 2014
Apr 25
6:10
PM ET
Junior welterweight Antonio Orozco, a crowd-pleasing fighter on the rise, was supposed to face Martin Honorio on Saturday night on the Keith Thurman-Julio Diaz undercard at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., but the fight was called off Friday.

The reason was because Honorio, who is from Mexico, was unable to secure a visa in time to come to the United States for the bout.

“He got his visa last week, but the problem was actually picking it up in Mexico City, where they are all backed up,” Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez told ESPN.com. “He went Tuesday to his appointment in the morning and they said come back in the afternoon. Then they told him to come back Wednesday morning and the same thing happened. He’s been doing that for three days and they were just so backed up. So he was approved for the visa but couldn’t get it and couldn’t get here in time for the weigh-in [on Friday] and to get the medicals in order.

“He was supposed to be here Tuesday night.”

The fight was a big opportunity for Orozco (19-0, 15 KOs), the heavy favorite, to gain national television exposure because while Thurman-Diaz and two other bouts will be on Showtime (9:30 ET/PT), Orozco-Honorio was slated to be the key fight televised on the Showtime Extreme (7 ET/PT) coverage of the preliminary bouts.

“We were looking forward to Antonio showcasing his talent on Showtime Extreme,” manager Frank Espinoza told ESPN.com. “It’s discouraging. You work hard, you prepare yourself, you train, you lose your weight and now it’s like starting over. Of course, Antonio understands, but he’s discouraged. He's professional and he knows sometimes these things happen.”

Espinoza and Gomez are working things out so that the fight with Honorio (32-8-1, 16 KOs) will be rescheduled on Golden Boy’s Fox Sports 1-televised card May 15 in Del Mar, California, right near Orozco’s hometown of San Diego.

“We’re happy the fight will be back on. It’s not a long delay,” Espinoza said.

With Honorio-Orozco off Saturday’s card, the Showtime Extreme telecast will now be topped by junior middleweight Jermall Charlo (17-0, 13 KOs) in a 10-rounder against Hector Munoz (22-12-1, 14 KOs) with junior middleweight Terrell Gausha (8-0, 5 KOs), a 2012 U.S. Olympian from Cleveland, moving on to the telecast against Charles Whittaker (40-14-2, 24 KOs), of Miami, in an eight-rounder.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.