Mayweather-Maidana II tour a good call
July, 12, 2014
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com
Bryan Steffy/Getty ImagesFloyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana will embark on a five-city tour to promote their rematch.LAS VEGAS -- Two of the three fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had on his six-fight Showtime/CBS contract -- Robert Guerrero and Marcos Maidana -- failed to reach the benchmark 1-million buy mark, the figure Mayweather has said is a big deal.
But both of those bouts were organized with little room to spare and resulted in poor promotions that got off to a slow start without a media tour.
The one fight that surged past 2 million buys and set the all-time pay-per-view revenue record was his showdown with Canelo Alvarez. That fight included a 10-city tour. I strongly believe the excitement created by the tour across the country gave the promotion a massive jolt and was a big factor in helping it set multiple records, even though it was a hot fight from the moment it was announced.
Mayweather announced Thursday that he will fight Maidana again on Sept. 13 at the MGM Grand, but this time there will be a five-city tour -- something the fight really needs if Mayweather has a prayer to bolster his sagging pay-per-view numbers. I think it can only help stoke interest in the rematch of what was an excellent fight in May, albeit a close but clear win for Mayweather, who unified welterweight titles.
The tour stops are all open and free to the public (first come, first served). Here's a rundown on the particulars if you are interested in checking out any of the stops. If you've never been, these tour stops are a lot of fun.
• Monday, noon ET: New York at the pedestrian walk in Times Square between 42nd and 43rd Streets.
• Monday, 6:30 p.m. ET: Washington, D.C. at DAR Constitution Hall. A performance by rapper and D.C. native Wale will follow the press conference.
• Tuesday, 11 a.m. CT: Chicago at the Auditorium Theatre.
• Tuesday, 6 p.m. CT: San Antonio at Six Flags Fiesta Texas’ Lone Star Lil's Amphitheater.
• Thursday, noon ET: Los Angeles at Pershing Square.