Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Vazquez-Diaz, Quigg-Salinas set
By Dan Rafael
Two purse-bid issues have been resolved for upcoming title bouts. Here’s an update:
• With a winning bid of $51,000 on Tuesday, Top Rank, bidding on behalf of close associate Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions, won the purse bid for lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez’s mandatory defense against Ammeth Diaz. There were no other bidders and the IBF ordered that the fight be completed within 90 days, by Oct. 16. Under the terms of the bid, Vazquez, as the titleholder, is entitled to 75 percent of the money ($38,250) and Diaz the remaining 25 percent ($12,750).
Vazquez (33-3, 13 KOs), of Mexico, will be making his sixth title defense in a rematch with Panama’s Diaz (32-11, 23 KOs). Vazquez dominated the first fight, which was a snoozer, and won a near-shutout decision in January 2012. Diaz has won two fights since, including a seventh-round knockout of Martin Gethin in England on May 31 in a final eliminator to set up the rematch.
• The representatives of interim junior featherweight titlist Scott Quigg (26-0-1, 19 KOs) of England and Miami-based Cuban Yoandris Salinas (20-0-1, 13 KOs) came to terms for their bout, so the purse bid scheduled for Monday was canceled. They will fight for a vacant full belt, although the specific terms of the deal were not disclosed. The date and location of the bout have not yet been announced, but Matchroom Sport, Quigg’s promoter, announced that under the deal it made with Salinas representative Golden Boy, the fight will take place in Britain later this year.
“It’s great news that this fight has been made and will be in England,” Quigg said. “I’ll be working hard over the summer to get ready for the clash. Salinas is a classy operator, but I will be 100 percent ready to take that title.”
Said Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn, who recently signed Quigg: “I'm over the moon that we have been able to get this done. Scott is ready to go win this world title.”