Friday, November 1, 2013
Segura, Marquez plan fireworks
By Dan Rafael
Giovani Segura expects plenty of action when he faces Hernan "Tyson" Marquez on Saturday.
Former flyweight titlist Hernan "Tyson" Marquez and former junior flyweight champ Giovani Segura, two of boxing's biggest punchers in the smaller weight classes and two of the most crowd pleasing fighters in any division, are both one win away from earning another title shot.
Marquez and Segura will meet Saturday night (UniMas, 11 ET/PT) in Hermosillo, Mexico, in a world title eliminator for the right to become a mandatory challenger for unified flyweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada (25-2, 18 KOs), who is from Hermosillo. Maybe Estrada will be ringside to scout his future opponent?
Whatever happens between Marquez and Segura, it figures to be an explosive fight and that's exactly how the fighters are talking about their clash.
"This fight will be a war," Marquez said. "We both like to brawl and take risks, because we know we have the power to knock out our opponents. I can't wait to get into the ring and give the fans a memorable night of boxing."
Said Marquez, "This fight with Marquez is about intelligence and power. I need to be smart and pick my spots and land some hard punches to keep him honest. But, sooner or later, the war will begin and my power will be the difference."
Segura (30-3-1, 26 KOs) and Marquez (36-3, 26 KOs) have both been in several excellent fights.
Marquez, 25, has won two fights in a row since being stopped by Brian Viloria in a November 2012 flyweight world title fight that was one of the most exciting bouts of that year.
Segura, 31, who is coming off an impressive fourth-round knockout of previously unbeaten Puerto Rican prospect Jonathan "Bomba" Gonzalez in August, also lost by knockout to Viloria in a 2011 flyweight title bout. But Segura has also been in some barnburners, including his first fight with Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon in 2010, when he knocked him out in the eighth round of a fight of the year candidate and unified junior flyweight titles.
The undercard was originally going to include former junior bantamweight titlist Juan Carlos Sanchez (17-1-1, 9 KOs) of Mexico against South Africa's Zolani Tete (17-3, 15 KOs) in a final eliminator to produce the mandatory challenger for Japanese titleholder Daiki Kameda (29-3, 18 KOs). However, according to the promoters for both fighters, it will instead take place Nov. 30 in Mexico.
Kameda won the vacant title after Sanchez was stripped for not making weight for a June defense. However, Sanchez decided to continue to fight at 115 pounds and was given the opportunity to fight an eliminator for the right to fight for his old belt.