Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Peterson to defend against Jean
By Dan Rafael
A purse bid was held for Lamont Peterson's junior welterweight title defense against Dierry Jean.
Golden Boy Promotions won the purse bid for junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson’s mandatory title defense against Dierry Jean on Tuesday and has 90 days to put on the fight.
Golden Boy, which promotes Peterson, won with an offer of $156,000 at the auction at IBF headquarters in Springfield, N.J., beating the only other bid, which was $111,121 by Jean promoter Eye of the Tiger.
As the titleholder, Peterson is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($117,000) with Jean to receive the remaining 25 percent ($39,000).
ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter
Don't miss any of our wall-to-wall boxing coverage, including live analysis of Saturday's fights. Join »
Golden Boy chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that although the exact date and location for the 140-pound world title bout has not been set, he is looking at doing the fight on Jan. 30 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., or in early February at a venue in Washington, D.C., which is Peterson’s hometown.
“The plan is clearly to have it on the East Coast,” Schaefer said. “I’m planning to do an event tied to Super Bowl week in New York, so we could have the fight then in Brooklyn or we might go to Washington in early February. It depends on finalizing the TV platform. I am going to talk to those who have expressed an interest in the fight and I will work on that in the next few days.”
Schaefer said the bout could be on Showtime, Fox Sports 1 or ESPN2.
Although Peterson (31-2-1, 16 KOs), 29, holds the title, he is coming off a nasty knockout loss. On May 18 in Atlantic City, N.J., Lucas Matthysse drilled Peterson in the third round of a one-sided nontitle bout fought at a contract limit of 141 pounds, one over the division maximum. So even though Peterson lost, he still has the title.
“Lamont Peterson is an exciting guy who got caught in his last fight by Lucas Matthysse, but many before him have been caught by Lucas Matthysse. That happens,” Schaefer said. “I am sure Lamont has learned from this. He knows this fight is high noon for him. It’s like do or die for him. I know Lamont will come prepared.
“He doesn’t want the road to end here. He knows what’s at stake. The 140-pound weight class is still a loaded weight class and so defending his title is important and I am sure he wants to do it in spectacular fashion.”
Peterson won his title in Washington by controversial split decision against Amir Khan in December 2011. The rematch was slated for a few months later, but Peterson failed a random pre-fight drug test for elevated levels of testosterone and the fight was canceled.
Peterson was stripped of one of his two world title belts and did not fight again until scoring an eighth-round knockout of former titleholder Kendall Holt in a February title defense in Washington. In Peterson’s next fight, Matthysse knocked him out.
Jean (25-0, 17 KOs), 31, a native of Haiti living in Montreal, scored his biggest win in his last fight on May 10, a fourth-round knockout of Cleotis Pendarvis in Miami, Okla., in a title eliminator that made him Peterson’s mandatory challenger.
“Dierry is exciting and even though he is not that well known in the United States, I think that based on his style, we will see a helluva fight between him and Lamont,” Schaefer said.