Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Light heavy eliminator set
By Dan Rafael
Light heavyweight titleholders Bernard Hopkins and Beibut Shumenov are getting ready for their unification fight on April 19 at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C. But they might want to take a look at Main Events’ card on April 4 (NBC Sports Net).
It is on that show that the April 19 winner can find out the identity of one of his mandatory challengers.
Main Events on Monday won a purse bid for the title eliminator between Dmitry Sukhotsky (21-2, 16 KOs), and Anatoliy Dudchenko (19-2, 13 KOs) and announced that the fight would take place on the April 4 card at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia. The card is headlined by the heavyweight fight between former cruiserweight titlist Steve Cunningham (26-6, 12 KOs) and Amir Mansour (20-0, 15 KOs).
Main Events, which promotes Dudchenko, was the only bidder on the fight. It offered $12,000. Sukhotsky gets 75 percent ($9,000) and Dudchenko is entitled to the remaining 25 percent ($3,000), although Main Events plans to work something out with him to give him a bigger purse.
Dudchenko, 35, a Ukraine native living in Los Angeles, signed with Main Events in December, and this will be his first fight with the company. He has won 16 fights in a row since losing two in a row in 2007 and 2008.
Sukhotsky, 32, of Russia, will be fighting in the United States for the second time. He has won three fights in a row, all by knockout. He lost a decision to Juergen Braehmer in a 2009 light heavyweight world title bout. His other loss was a decision to Cornelius White in July 2012.
“The winner will be in line to challenge Bernard Hopkins for the IBF light heavyweight championship, so it's great that fight fans will get to see this eliminator," Main Events promoter Kathy Duva said.