LAS VEGAS -- A few notes from around the boxing world:
• Now that Top Rank and welterweight Brandon Rios are on the same page again -- Rios claimed his contract was up although it is not, which he now acknowledges -- the company and fighter met Monday to discuss his next move. Rios (33-3-1, 24 KOs), 30, of Oxnard, California, announced his retirement immediately following his one-sided ninth-round knockout loss to Timothy Bradley Jr. in November, but decided he wanted to continue to fight only weeks later. One of the fights discussed was against former Top Rank stablemate Miguel Cotto, the former four-division titleholder now promoted by Roc Nation Sports. Top Rank's Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday that Roc Nation Sports contacted the company to gauge Rios' availability. The reception to fight, which would have had to take place at about 150 pounds, was lukewarm and is unlikely to happen. Roc Nation Sports' first choice was to match Cotto with Juan Manuel Marquez, but issues over the weight have apparently killed that fight. Rios was another consideration but Roc Nation is looking at other opponents as well for Cotto's return, which is penciled in for Dec. 3 in South Florida. Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) has been out of action since November, when he lost a decision and the middleweight title to Canelo Alvarez.
• The vacant lightweight title bout between Ghana's Richard Commey (24-0, 22 KOs) and Robert Easter Jr. (17-0, 14 KOs), of Toledo, Ohio, which is scheduled to take place Sept. 9 at the Santander Center in Reading, Pennsylvania, is to be on a Spike-televised Premier Boxing Champions card, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the PBC schedule. In addition, the card could also include the rematch between secondary middleweight titleholder Daniel Jacobs (31-1, 28 KOs) and Sergio Mora (28-4-2, 9 KOs).
• The Dominican Republic's Jonathan Guzman (22-0, 22 KOs), who won a vacant junior featherweight world title on Wednesday by knocking out Shingo Wake in the 11th round in Osaka, Japan, flew from Japan to Connecticut, where he plans to be ringside to watch San Antonio's Adam Lopez (15-0, 7 KOs) fight Argentina's Roman Ruben Reynoso (18-1-1, 7 KOs) in the main event of the 15th anniversary edition of "ShoBox: The New Generation" on Friday night (10 ET/PT) at the Foxwoods Resort in Mashantucket, Connecticut. The reason: Guzman intends to fight the winner in his first title defense.
"We told him to enjoy the victory for himself and his country, but he wants to go right back to work," promoter Sampson Lewkowicz said. "That is the determination and love for what he does that has made him an undefeated champion with a perfect knockout record."
• On Saturday's Terence Crawford-Viktor Postol undercard at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Lenny Zappavigna (34-2, 24 KOs), 28, of Australia, and China's IK Yang (19-1, 14 KOs), 31, were supposed to meet in a junior welterweight world title elimination bout with the winner moving a step closer to a shot against Russian titleholder Eduard Troyanovsky (24-0, 21 KOs). However, the fight was downgraded on Thursday to a 10-rounder without title implications because Yang was not going to be able to make 140 pounds at Friday's weigh-in, Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti told ESPN.com. The company knew earlier in the week of Yang's weight issues and on Thursday re-did the contract, setting the weight at 144 pounds.