Dan Rafael: DeMarcus Corley

Frankie Gomez injury dashes fight

July, 15, 2013
7/15/13
4:55
PM ET
Junior welterweight prospect Frankie Gomez (15-0, 11 KOs), who is just 21, was scheduled to face former titleholder (and now division gatekeeper) DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley (39-20-1, 23 KOs) of Washington, D.C., on Saturday (FSN/Fox Deportes) at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif.

However, Gomez suffered a deep bruise in his left knee and will be sidelined for a month, Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez told ESPN.com.

"He can begin sparring right after that," said Gomez, who is not related to the fighter.

Eric Gomez said he hopes to reschedule the fight with Corley, who would be the most notable opponent so far for the prospect and former amateur standout.

The original co-feature of junior featherweight prospect Randy Caballero (18-0, 10 KOs) against Puerto Rico's Miguel Robles (12-2-2, 5 KOs) has been moved up to the main event. Caballero was the draw of the card in the first place. He is from Coachella, Calif., and the crowd favorite at Fantasy Springs, where he has fought 11 of his 18 professional fights.

Also on the card will be a trio of 2012 U.S. Olympians: welterweight Errol Spence Jr., junior featherweight Joseph Diaz and middleweight Terrell Gausha.
50 Cent-Yuriorkis GamboaChris Farina/Top RankPromoter 50 Cent, left, hasn't been able to secure an interim title fight for Yuriorkis Gamboa.
A few updates on some upcoming fights:

• Former unified featherweight titlist and interim junior lightweight titleholder Yuriorkis Gamboa has never fought at lightweight, but when he makes his debut in the 135-pound division he will be fighting for another interim belt.

Gamboa (22-0, 16 KOs), the Miami-based 2004 Olympic gold medalist, meets 2008 Colombian Olympian Darleys Perez (28-0, 19 KOs) on Saturday (HBO, 10 p.m. ET/PT) at Bell Centre in Montreal. He will be on the undercard of light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson’s defense against Quebec’s power-punching Adonis Stevenson. But what was originally scheduled as a 10-round nontitle bout became an interim title bout after Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, the rap star and Gamboa’s promoter, paid a recent visit to WBA headquarters in Panama and got the bout sanctioned.

Also on the card, prospect Jose “Sniper” Pedraza (12-0, 8 KOs), a 2008 Puerto Rican Olympian, will face Sergio Villanueva (25-2-2, 13 KOs) of Mexico in a scheduled 10-rounder that HBO Latino will air on tape delay at 12:15 a.m. ET.

• East Los Angles junior welterweight prospect Frankie Gomez (15-0, 11 KOs), who is just 21, should gain valuable experience when he faces former titleholder (and now division gatekeeper) DeMarcus “Chop Chop” Corley (39-20-1, 23 KOs) of Washington, D.C., in a scheduled 10-round main event of a “Golden Boy Live” card (FSN/Fox Deportes) on July 20 at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif. Corley is coming off a decision loss in his previous fight, when he traveled to Russia to face Viktor Postal in October, but in his previous two bouts Corley pulled upsets. He outpointed Gabriel Bracero and then stopped Paul McCloskey in the 10th round in Northern Ireland in a stunner. In the co-feature, junior featherweight prospect Randy Caballero (18-0, 10 KOs) will face Puerto Rico's Miguel Robles (12-2-2, 5 KOs) in a 10-rounder. Caballero, who is from Coachella, Calif., is a crowd favorite at Fantasy Springs, where he has fought 11 of his 18 pro fights.

• Former featherweight titlist Orlando Salido (39-12-2, 27 KOs), who got dropped four times and lost his title via lopsided eighth-round technical decision to Mikey Garcia in January, will be back Aug. 16 in his hometown of Ciudad Obregon, Mexico, manager Sean Gibbons told ESPN.com. Salido, 32, suffered a right broken orbital bone in the fight, one of the reasons for the extended layoff. Gibbons said there is no opponent yet, but that Salido will be fighting at junior lightweight, possibly in a title eliminator that would put him in line for a crack at titleholder Roman “Rocky” Martinez.

• Puerto Rican junior middleweight Jorge Melendez (26-2-1, 25 KOs), a Miguel Cotto protege, is on his third opponent for his “ShoBox: The New Generation” main event Friday night (Showtime, 11 ET/PT). Melendez was due to face Mexico’s Luis Grajeda (14-1, 10 KOs) in the scheduled 10-rounder. When Grajeda dropped out -- for no reason other than he decided against taking the fight, according to Showtime -- Lanardo Tyner (30-8-2, 19 KOs) stepped in. However, even though Tyner is coming off a 12th-round knockout win on May 9 in Dallas, he was suspended under the normal Texas rules that say a fighter must be off three days for every round he fought in his most recent fight, which keeps him out until after Friday. So now it’s Nick Brinson (14-1-2, 6 KOs) stepping in on short notice. Puerto Rican bantamweight Jonathan Vidal (17-0, 9 KOs) faces Mario Munoz (13-0-1, 10 KOs) of Mexico in the eight-round co-feature.

• Japan’s Koki Kameda (30-1, 17 KOs) will make his seventh title defense when he faces the Philippines’ Mark John Apolinario (17-2-3, 4 KOs) on July 23 in Tokyo. Odd stat about Apolinario: He’s got three draws in his past four bouts, including back-to-back draws with Roberto Vasquez in interim title bouts.
LAS VEGAS -- Those who give Robert Guerrero a good chance to upset pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. and take his welterweight world title on Saturday night (9 ET, Showtime PPV) at the MGM Grand point to specific aspects of the matchup.

They look at the age and recent results, for one. Guerrero is an in-his-prime 30 and is coming off perhaps the best performance of his career when he beat down former two-time welterweight titlist Andre Berto in November. Meanwhile, Mayweather is 36, has been out of the ring for one year -- two months of which was spent in jail last summer -- and is coming off a win against Miguel Cotto in which he was hit cleanly more than he ever has been.

Another aspect is their stance. Guerrero is a southpaw and on the rare occasions where Mayweather has had a few issues in his past fights, some have come against left-handers.

Mayweather beat DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley by convincing unanimous decision in a 2004 junior welterweight fight but Corley, a former titleholder, gave him a few problems and also rocked him.

In 2006, Mayweather outpointed Zab Judah to win a welterweight belt, but for the first four or five rounds of that fight Judah completely neutralized Mayweather and was winning easily, mainly because the southpaw style had him out of sorts.

"Oh, definitely the southpaw side gives him trouble," Guerrero said. "If DeMarcus Corley and Zab Judah didn't get tired, they were winning that fight and I believe that. I'm ready for this. I've had the right fights. I was built the right way. I've had the right experience.

"I've been there with a bunch of different styles. I've been in there with lefties, a lot of them; I've been in with a bunch of different power punchers, prowlers, boxers, sharp guys. But as I say, what I've been through, God's prepped me up for this and here it is."

When asked about if he has trouble with southpaws, Mayweather brushed it off.

"Last time I checked I was 43-0," Mayweather said. "I don't think he's a better boxer than Zab Judah. He's not faster than Zab Judah. I don't think he faced the competition that Zab Judah has faced.

"But we'll see how the fight plays out. Everybody has a game plan and my game plan is to just adjust and adapt once I get in that squared circle. But once again, everybody got to adjust and adapt to me because I control the tempo always."

McCloskey to face Corley in Belfast

April, 16, 2012
4/16/12
8:12
AM ET
Northern Ireland's Paul McCloskey (23-1,12 KOs), who lost a lopsided sixth-round technical decision in a junior welterweight title bout to Amir Khan last April, will face former titlist DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley on May 5 in Belfast, promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sports announced.

Corley will replace original opponent (and former lightweight titlist) Julio Diaz. According to Hearn, Diaz withdrew because of concerns about making 140 pounds -- the second time he has pulled out because of weight issues in recent fights. Corley (38-19-1, 22 KOs) is just 2-8 in his past 10 fights, although he is coming off an upset decision win against previously undefeated Gabriel Bracero in January.

"Corley has been in with the very best in the business and is on a high after beating Bracero, so it's a good test for me," McCloskey said.

SPONSORED HEADLINES