Dan Rafael: Edison Miranda

Notes: Binkow joins Mayweather

July, 2, 2014
Jul 2
6:26
PM ET
A few notes from the boxing world:

• Two weeks after Bruce Binkow left his position as chief operating officer of Golden Boy Promotions, one of several employees who either quit or were fired last month as part of a housecleaning following the resignation of CEO Richard Schaefer, he has signed on as a consultant with Mayweather Promotions. Binkow told ESPN.com that he will help organize pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Sept 13 Showtime PPV fight (likely a rematch against Marcos Maidana). Binkow, who deals closely with the sponsors, has vast experience with Mayweather events considering his role with Golden Boy, which has been Mayweather's de facto promoter for the past several years, but unlikely to be promote his next bout. Binkow has worked on Mayweather's previous eight fights.

• Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn said he hopes to be able to make a junior featherweight unification fight for Scott Quigg against Leo Santa Cruz, adding that Quigg is willing to travel to the United States to face him in the fall. Hearn said they cannot make a deal for the Santa Cruz bout that Quigg would fight on Sept. 13 somewhere in the United Kingdom.

• The working date for the proposed fight between super middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham of Germany and England's Paul Smith is Sept. 27. Hearn said he is waiting to hear from Abraham promoter Sauerland Event on where in Germany the fight would take place.

• Two names from the past will be on the undercard of the rematch between junior lightweight titlist Argenis Mendez (21-2-1, 11 KOs) and Rances Barthelemy (19-0, 12 KOs) on July 10 (Fox Sports 1/Fox Deportes) at the American Airlines Arena in Miami. Faded former super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy (26-4, 18 KOs) will oppose Humberto Savigne (12-1, 9 KOs) in the 10-round light heavyweight co-feature. Lacy retired at the end of 2010 but returned for a win in November and this will be the second bout of his comeback. Also on the card, long-faded middleweight and super middleweight title challenger Edison Miranda (35-9, 30 KOs), who has lost three in a row and four of five, is expected to serve as fodder for cruiserweight prospect Yunier Dorticos (17-0, 17 KOs), the former Cuban amateur standout, in their 10-rounder

Miranda still talking a big game

September, 4, 2012
9/04/12
3:04
PM ET
Light heavyweight Edison Miranda is not nearly as dangerous as he was when he was a top middleweight contender or even when he was at super middleweight, but one thing has not changed about the charismatic 31-year-old from Colombia: He can still talk smack as well as anyone, even if he hasn’t backed it up for awhile.
[+] EnlargeEdison Miranda
AP Photo/Ben MargotLight heavyweight Edison Miranda always has something to say, inside or outside the ring.

Miranda (35-7, 30 KOs), who has scored some great knockouts, had exciting battles with Kelly Pavlik and Arthur Abraham at middleweight and lost badly to Andre Ward and Lucian Bute at super middleweight, is fighting British light heavyweight Tony Bellew (17-1, 11 KOs) in London on Saturday (televised on Sky Sports in the U.K.) and talking like it was the old days.

“Put your kids to bed early on Saturday,” Miranda said. “I don't want them to be frightened by seeing what I do to Bellew. It is going to be ugly.”

Miranda also questioned why some have referred to Bellew, 29, whose lone defeat in November came by majority decision in a tremendous fight with light heavyweight titlist Nathan Cleverly, as a big puncher.

“We are both known as powerful punchers? Maybe I need to watch more Tony Bellew fights. Who calls him a powerful puncher? His girlfriend,” Miranda said. “The reason the fight will not go the distance is because Edison Miranda is a powerful puncher. I am not putting this decision in the hands of the judges. You can save money and keep the judges at home. There will be two men standing at the end of this fight, Edison Miranda and the ref.”

Miranda trained for the fight in Las Vegas, where he worked with light heavyweight champ Chad Dawson, who is preparing for his Saturday challenge of super middleweight champ Ward.

“I have had an excellent camp. I moved to Las Vegas and trained for the past six weeks with Chad Dawson,” Miranda said. “We worked very well together and had some great sparring sessions. He is a great champion. I am ready for anyone now.”

The fight will be Miranda’s second in England and he has an idea for a third pending a victory against Bellew that he is predicting.

“I really enjoy fighting in the U.K. -- the fans here are great boxing fans,” Miranda said. “Being shown across European TV is great exposure and I have gained many fans all over the world from my fights in Europe. I would love to come back to the U.K. and fight the best fighter England can throw my way. (Super middleweight titlist) Carl Froch would be No. 1 on my radar. He is a great fighter who fights with the same love of the sport as I do. We could put on a great show. If Froch has other plans then Nathan Cleverly (of Wales) would be a good fight so I can take his belt away.”

Bellew hasn’t gotten involved in the trash talk. He’s simply looking to increase his experience against a fighter who has faced many good opponents.

“He’s a world class name and the sort of guy I’ve been looking to fight for some time now,” Bellew said. “When you look at the guys he’s fought and the titles he’s boxed for you know you are sharing the ring with someone who is at the top level and it should be a great fight as he can punch and he comes to fight.”

Blue Sky for British boxing

August, 28, 2012
8/28/12
6:31
PM ET
Tony BellewDean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty ImagesTony Bellew will headline the first card in a Matchroom Sport-Sky Sports deal on Sept. 8.
Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn and Sky Sports made official on Tuesday what has been an open secret in boxing circles for months: that Matchroom will now be the principal promoter supplying the British subscription channel with its fights.

It's a big deal because Sky has for years been the main network for British boxing, like HBO and Showtime in the United States.

Matchroom and Sky announced a two-year deal for 20 cards per year, with the first show taking place when the new season kicks off on Sept. 8 in London with light heavyweight Tony Bellew headlining against Edison Miranda.

The second show of the deal will feature junior featherweight prospect Carl Frampton defending his Commonwealth title against former world titleholder Steve Molitor on Sept. 22 in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Another show on the books will feature welterweight contender Kell Brook against Hector Saldivia in a title eliminator on Oct. 20 in Sheffield, England, Brook's hometown. The winner will be the mandatory challenger for the title held by Randall Bailey.

Matchroom is also responsible for the popular "Prizefighter" cards that Sky has been airing for the past few years. They feature eight fighters in the same weight class in a one-night tournament format of three-round bouts that have proven popular with viewers and gamblers.

The No. 1 fighter in the Matchroom stable is super middleweight titlist Carl Froch, whose first defense against Yusaf Mack on Nov. 17 in his hometown of Nottingham, England is also part of the deal.

Other fighters in the Matchroom stable who will appear on the shows include former middleweight title challenger Darren Barker and former junior welterweight titlist Gavin Rees.

The deal is great for Matchroom, of course, but it cuts out other British promoters who also had been doing business with Sky -- Ricky Hatton's Hatton Promotions, Frank Warren and Frank Maloney.

Warren's business is now mainly on the all-boxing subscription network that he has a stake in, BoxNation, while Maloney recently did a deal with BoxNation to feature some of his top fighters, such as heavyweight prospect David Price. Hatton's company remains without a British TV deal.

SPONSORED HEADLINES