A few notes from around the boxing world:
• The Connecticut Boxing Hall of Fame announced its 2014 class of inductees on Wednesday: former heavyweight titlist John Ruiz, former middleweight contender Peter Manfredo, referee Michael Ortega, IBF president Daryl Peoples, trainer Paul Cichon and the late boxing judge William Hutt. The new members will be honored at the 10th annual induction dinner on Nov. 8 at the Mohegan Sun resort in Uncasville, Connecticut.
• South African cruiserweight contender Thabiso Mchunu (16-1, 11 KOs) is slated to face Garrett Wilson (13-7-1, 7 KOs) on Sept. 20 (NBC) at the Foxwoods resort in Mashantucket, Connecticut. The bout will headline a Main Events “Fight Night” card. Although Wilson has lost two fights in a row by decision, his very game effort in an excellent fight on short notice against heavyweight contender Vyacheslav Glazkov in November saved the card.
• Up-and-coming heavyweight Andy Ruiz (22-0, 16 KOs) is due back to headline a “Solo Boxeo Tecate” card on UniMas on Sept. 20 in Phoenix, Arizona according to Top Rank. No opponent yet.
• If all goes well for elite Puerto Rican lightweight prospect Felix Verdejo (13-0, 10 KOs), a 21-year-old 2012 Olympian, in his fight against Oscar Bravo (21-5, 9 KOs) on Aug. 16 (UniMas) in Caguas, Puerto Rico, he will return to the Spanish-language network on Oct. 4 in Orlando, Florida.
• If the sides don’t make a deal, the purse bid for the fight between middleweight titlist Peter Quillin (31-0, 22 KOs) and mandatory challenger Matt Korobov (24-0, 14 KOs) is scheduled for Aug. 18. So far, there has been no discussion between the sides about making a deal.