<
>

Oquendo returns to PR Best Boxing, will fight for featherweight belt

Jonathan Oquendo, right, defeated Jhonny Gonzalez by majority decision on Sept. 12 Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

If you have not been following the back and forth as it relates to junior lightweight Jonathan Oquendo, here are the basics:

On Sept. 22, Golden Boy announced that it re-signed Oquendo, who had been with the company earlier in his career. Oquendo professed appreciation for all Golden Boy had done for him earlier in his career and said he was thrilled to be back. He said he considered those at the company like family.

The next day, PR Best Boxing Promotions, run by brothers Peter and Ivan Rivera, said hold up, not so fast. They said they still had a contract with Oquendo, whom they been promoting and had booked into a Sept. 12 fight on the Floyd Mayweather-Andre Berto undercard.

Oquendo (26-4, 16 KOs), 32, of Puerto Rico, scored the biggest win of his career that night as he exchanged early knockdowns with former two-division titlist Jhonny Gonzalez and went on to win a majority decision.

The Riveras threatened a lawsuit and it looked like this would be another typical boxing deal where the lawyers got rich while the promoters duked it out.

But sometimes sanity prevails and there is an easy resolution that did not result in a lawsuit. That’s what happened with Oquendo, who will remain with the Rivera brothers and fight for a secondary featherweight world title against Jesus Cuellar (27-1, 21 KOs) on Dec. 5 on the undercard of the Daniel Jacobs-Peter Quillin middleweight title bout at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The Riveras said that fight was already set at the time Oquendo signed with Golden Boy.

Oquendo said Tuesday that he would honor the contract (which runs until 2016) with PR Best Boxing Promotions.

"After reviewing my promotional contract as a professional boxer with Ivan Rivera, I realized that it is in effect until 2016, so I can't sign with another company,” Oquendo said. “Also, I noticed that my management contract had expired in July 2013 and I hadn't noticed. I signed the contract with (Golden Boy) per misstatement of the people who were managing my career, and with whom I communicated via phone and email, so I did with the people of (Golden Boy) too, to end the relationship. But this is another chapter and now we're going for the world championship and is time to train at my best to win the title.”

Peter Rivera said he was happy with Oquendo’s decision and that he is going to fight for a title.

"We were offered this fight for Jonathan after his great win against Jhonny Gonzalez and we spoke with his team,” Rivera said. “Everything was good so Jonathan will face Cuellar for the world title. Jonathan took some days off after his fight against Gonzalez, but he is already training to be in the best condition, as usually he does for his fights. Jonathan will also have the opportunity to fight in front of thousands of Puerto Ricans, who will supporting him in Brooklyn that day and cheering for another Puerto Rican to become world champion."

Golden Boy said it had no plans to fight to uphold its agreement with Oquendo and is walking away.

"While it's unfortunate that Jonathan misunderstood his prior obligations, all of us at Golden Boy wish him the best of luck in his upcoming title fight,” Golden Boy spokesman Stefan Friedman told ESPN.com.