Dan Rafael: Jose Luis Araiza

Notes: Future bright for Sadam Ali

November, 15, 2014
Nov 15
12:04
PM ET
A few notes from around the boxing world:

• Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN.com he hopes to bring welterweight Sadam Ali (21-0, 13 KOs) back in early 2015 following his impressive ninth-round knockout of Luis Carlos Abregu on the Bernard Hopkins-Sergey Kovalev undercard on Nov. 8 in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

“We’re hoping to get a date for him in the first quarter [of 2015] and fight him at the Barclays Center,” De La Hoya said of the arena in Brooklyn, New York, Ali’s hometown. “We will step him up and keep him busy. He had a great win. It was a real confidence booster. He has always shown boxing ability, but I have always known he could crack. We’ll let him enjoy the win, and we will put him on the fast track next year.”

• Promoter Sal Musumeci of Final Forum Boxing and the Gallery Studio Group announced that they are bringing live boxing to CBS Sports Network. The debut card will take place Dec. 13 (8 p.m. ET) at a site to be announced in New York and include heavyweight Charles Martin (18-0, 16 KOs) in the main event with light heavyweight (and Subway pitchman) Mike Lee (13-0, 7 KOs) in the cofeature. Opponents are to be announced for the fights, which are part of a time-buy on the network.

• Welterweights Alan Sanchez (14-3-1, 8 KOs), who has won nine of his last 10 fights, and Ed Paredes (35-4-1, 23 KOs) will meet in the 10-round main event of the “Golden Boy Live” card Dec. 4 (Fox Sports 1/Fox Deportes) at the Del Mar Fairgrounds in Del Mar, California, Golden Boy announced. In the 10-round cofeature, junior welterweight Manuel "Tino" Avila (16-0, 7 KOs) will face Jose Luis Araiza (31-9-1, 22 KOs).

Klitschko-Povetkin on U.S. TV?

August, 2, 2013
8/02/13
3:28
PM ET
Although the deal isn't signed yet, HBO is in the process of finalizing a deal to acquire American broadcast rights for heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko's defense against Alexander Povetkin on Oct. 5 in Moscow. The network would televise the fight live in the afternoon and then replay it in prime time along with live coverage of that night's Miguel Cotto-Delvin Rodriguez card from Orlando, Fla. Klitschko hasn't appeared on HBO in his past four fights, all of which were broadcast on Epix. Klitschko's last appearance on HBO was his one-sided domination of David Haye in a 2011 unification bout.

• Longtime Nevada judge Duane Ford resigned his position earlier this month, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Ford is leaving ringside to take over as president of the North American Boxing Federation, a regional affiliate of the WBC. Ford judged hundreds of world title fights but drew heavy (and warranted) criticism for his scoring of the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley Jr. fight in June 2012. He was one of the two judges, along with C.J. Ross, to submit a 115-113 score in favor of Bradley, setting off wide outrage at the split decision (when most believed Pacquiao had clearly won). Ford opened himself up for even more criticism after the fight when he remarked that Bradley had given Pacquiao "a boxing lesson."

• Promising middleweight Gilberto "Zurdo" Ramirez Sanchez (25-0, 20 KOs), a 22-year-old from Mexico, will make his American debut on Aug. 24 (UniMas) in Glendale, Calif., Top Rank announced. He will face one-time prospect Julio Cesar Garcia (46-8, 39 KOs) in a 10-rounder. If Sanchez beats Garcia, he would then be likely to face Italy's Domenico Spada (37-4, 19 KOs) in a title eliminator. Also on the card, blue-chip junior featherweight prospect Jessie Magdaleno (15-0, 11 KOs), 21, will face stepping-stone opponent Jose Luis Araiza (31-8-1, 22 KOs) in an eight-rounder.

SPONSORED HEADLINES