Dan Rafael: Luis Ortiz

Chagaev dreams of rematch with Klitschko

November, 12, 2014
11/12/14
12:55
PM ET
Heavyweight Ruslan Chagaev, who won a vacant secondary belt by majority decision against faded Fres Oquendo in July, was supposed to make his first defense against interim titlist Luis Ortiz next -- until Ortiz flunked a drug test after claiming the interim belt in September.

With Ortiz likely to be suspended and stripped, Chagaev is looking for an opponent for his return, which he said will be in early 2015 in Hamburg, Germany.

What Chagaev really wants, however, is a rematch with champion Wladimir Klitschko, who knocked him out in the ninth round in 2009. Before that fight, Chagaev was stripped of his sanctioning body belt for accepting the fight with Klitschko on short notice.

Chagaev plans to be ringside as Klitschko makes his 17th title defense against mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev on Saturday (HBO, 4:45 p.m. ET/PT) at the O2 World arena in Hamburg.

"I still want my rematch with Wladimir and I know that I will get it,” Chagaev said. “I didn't have any time to prepare for our first fight in summer 2009 because they brought me in as last-minute replacement. I didn't want to pass on the chance but I am not happy with the circumstances. I know that it will be a different fight when I have the chance to get ready. To take on Wladimir I have to be in the best possible physical shape and I also need the right mindset."

Chagaev (33-2-1, 20 KOs), a 36-year-old southpaw from Uzbekistan who is based in Germany, recently began training with Fritz Sdunek, one of Germany’s most revered trainers who used to train Vitali Klitschko. Chagaev's first fight with Sdunek was the win against Oquendo, and Chagaev gives him a lot of credit for the victory.

"I think with Fritz Sdunek as head coach, [former lightweight titlist] Artur Grigorian as his assistant, Timur Dugazaev as promoter and, of course, Ramzan Kadyrow as supporter in my corner, I cannot go wrong and I am ready to take on every possible challenge,” Chagaev said.

Andrade's Showtime fight Dec. 13

October, 10, 2014
10/10/14
12:12
PM ET
A few notes from around the boxing world:

• I wrote earlier this week that junior middleweight titlist Demetrius Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) was leaving HBO for Showtime for a December fight against one of the Charlo twins because his promoters, Artie Pelullo and Joe DeGuardia, could not come to an agreement for his next fight with HBO, which has televised his last two fights. The deal has not been announced yet, but according to a source with direct knowledge of the deal, Andrade will face Jermell Charlo (24-0, 11 KOs) on a Dec. 13 card at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. That means Showtime and HBO will have competing cards on the same night in the same city as HBO has a show -- likely a tripleheader -- topped by former welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr. versus Diego Chaves down the Strip at The Cosmopolitan.

• The purse bid for junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia’s mandatory defense against Viktor Postol continues to be moved. First it was scheduled for Sept. 12 but delayed until Oct. 1. Then it was moved to Oct. 6, and now it has been moved yet again to Oct. 20. There are a lot of games being played right now for a fight that that seems unlikely to ever happen. Why the WBC continues to move the date is unclear because, from what I am told, there have not been any serious talks between the camps.

• It’s bad enough that the WBA has at least two titleholders in every weight classes and three in several of them, giving it a total of 41 titleholders in 17 divisions. At heavyweight the real champion is Wladimir Klitschko, but it also recognizes “regular” titleholder Ruslan Chagaev and interim titlist Luis Ortiz. Thankfully, there will soon be one less heavyweight titleholder, as Chagaev (33-2-1, 20 KOs) and Ortiz (22-0, 19 KOs) have been ordered to face each other in a mandatory bout. They have until Nov. 2 to make a deal or a purse bid will be ordered.

• A second fight has been added to the HBO Latino telecast of the Oct. 18 (tape-delayed, 12:45 a.m. ET/PT) undercard fights from the Stub Hub Center in Carson, California. In addition to the previously announced return of Edwin Rodriguez against Azea Augustama in a move up to light heavyweight following a year off since a one-sided loss to Andre Ward, middleweights Marcos Reyes (32-1, 24 KOs) and Abie Han (22-1, 14 KOs) will clash in the 10-round opener. The fights are on the undercard of the Gennady Golovkin-Marco Antonio Rubio/Nonito Donaire-Nicholas Walters doubleheader on HBO.

Cuba's Salinas, Ortiz sign with GB

July, 18, 2013
7/18/13
9:35
PM ET
A pair of Miami-based Cuban fighters, junior featherweight Yoandris Salinas (20-0-1, 13 KOs) and heavyweight Luis Ortiz (19-0, 16 KOs), have signed with Golden Boy, matchmaker Robert Diaz told ESPN.com.

Diaz said the company made a deal with Dream Team Promotions to come on board as the fighters' co-promoter. Salinas, a junior featherweight, is set to face Scott Quigg for a vacant belt in the fall in England. Ortiz, a 6-foot-4, 235-pound southpaw, is already 34 and hasn't fought since November 2011.

"Salinas has a good shot with Quigg," Diaz said. "He's aggressive and strong and very fast. Ortiz is also fast and aggressive. He moves like a light heavyweight, not like a heavyweight."

SPONSORED HEADLINES