Former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron, 36, of Reading, Pennsylvania, who has not fought since March 2014, has signed with Marshall Kauffman’s Reading-based King’s Promotions.
"I am excited to finally sign with a promoter," Cintron said on Monday. “I have had some offers but this is more exciting. This is the best thing for me in my career because Marshall trained and managed me. He knows me personally and he knows what I need in my career and I think it’s a great match. I am focusing on staying busy and getting another crack at a title, and I know Marshall will do the job in getting me the right fights and I will get that title shot."
Kauffman promotes mostly Premier Boxing Champions cards, which means Cintron (35-5-2, 28 KOs) could get in the mix with some of Al Haymon’s deep group of welterweights and junior middleweights.
"I am very happy to add Kermit to the King's Promotions stable," Kauffman said. “Kermit and I have a long history together and we did some special things when I trained him. I am glad Kermit has come back home and now as a promoter, we feel we can get Kermit back into some big opportunities and get him in position to become world champion again."
Cintron’s first title shot ended in a fifth-round knockout to Antonio Margarito in 2005. Cintron won a vacant belt in 2006 and made successful defenses before getting knocked out in the sixth round of a 2008 rematch with Margarito.
Since then, Cintron’s career has been very uneven with losses in his biggest fights, including to Paul Williams (when he famously fell out of the ring), Carlos Molina and Canelo Alvarez, as well as a hugely controversial draw against Sergio Martinez that virtually everyone had Martinez clearly winning.