<
>

Notes: Cleverly to face Fonfara this fall

6/27/2015
Former light heavyweight titlist Nathan Cleverly will face Andrzej Fonfara this fall. Stu Forster/Getty Images

A few notes from around the boxing world:

• Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing announced that former light heavyweight titlist Nathan Cleverly (29-2, 15 KOs) will face Andrzej Fonfara (27-3, 16 KOs) this fall. The date and location have not been finalized, but the deal for the fight is agreed to. Cleverly returned to light heavyweight in May, after spending 2014 at cruiserweight. In his most recent fight, Fonfara dominated Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and made him quit after the ninth round April 18. “We have had lots of big fight offers come in from Nathan over the past few months, and we have taken our time to choose the right one,” Hearn said. “The Juergen Braehmer [world title bout] fight was one we were very close to taking, but [we] just felt that after his big win against Chavez, Fonfara was the perfect fight on the world stage. We are working with his team on the date, expected to be in October, and we will release news shortly.”

• Adviser/manager Al Haymon, also the founder of Premier Boxing Champions, was scheduled to be deposed Tuesday in Los Angeles, in connection with a lawsuit pending in Miami against him and Warriors Boxing. Bad Dog Productions filed suit last year, contending they interfered with the promotional contract Bad Dog had with then-junior lightweight titlist Rances Barthelemy, who last week registered a lopsided decision win at junior welterweight in a PBC on CBS main event in Las Vegas. However, according to attorney Jorge Fors Jr., representing Bad Dog, Haymon’s attorney notified him Saturday that Haymon is ill and cannot make it to the deposition. Fors said they would demand it be rescheduled within 30 days. Haymon also faces a $300 million lawsuit from Golden Boy Promotions contending he is acting as a manager and a promoter -- violating the federal Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act -- and that he has repeatedly violated antitrust laws.

• Golden Boy, which signed 2012 British Olympic bronze medalist Anthony Ogogo (7-0, 4 KOs), 26, after the Games, announced it is bringing German promoter Team Sauerland on to serve as the middleweight’s co-promoter. Ogogo has been beset by injuries, including an Achilles problem, that have kept him out of the ring for the past 11 months, but he is scheduled to return July 18 in Halle, Germany, on the Sauerland card headlined by the fourth Arthur Abraham-Robert Stieglitz super middleweight title bout. “I am incredibly excited by this new partnership and cannot wait to get back in the ring,” Ogogo said.