Dan Rafael: Yaroslav Zavorotnyi

Price sidelined by hand surgery

July, 16, 2014
Jul 16
12:20
PM ET
British heavyweight David Price, a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist and 2012 ESPN.com prospect of the year, will be sidelined until December.

Price (18-2, 15 KOs) underwent surgery to repair a damaged tendon in his right hand on Tuesday, promoter Sauerland Event announced. The surgery, performed by hand specialist Dr. Mike Hayton, was deemed a success and Price will be out until the end of the year.

“I picked up a hand injury in my last fight against (Yaroslav) Zavorotnyi,” Price said of his lopsided 10-round decision win on June 14. “It had been four weeks and there had been no real improvement so I went to see Mike Hayton and we decided to open it up and see what the problem was. There was a split in the tendon and some scar tissue that had to be removed. It is still a little sore now but Mike was pleased with how it went and he is confident that my hand will be back to full strength in no time.

“Realistically we will be looking at December before I am able to get back in the ring. I am going to stay in the gym. There is still a lot of work I can do. I will just need to avoid any impact training for the time being. I am glad I have got this sorted now.”

Price said he considered fighting through the injury and waiting to have the surgery but decided against it.

“There was the option to take a fight in September, get an injection and fight through the injury but then you run the risk of making it worse or causing some permanent damage,” Price said. “There is no doubt that I will benefit from the additional time in the gym and come back even stronger. It is a minor setback but by the end of the year I will have boxed four times in 2014 and that is a massive step in the right direction. Next year I will be ready to take on anyone.”

Price, 31, has won three bouts in a row since his stunning back-to-back upset knockout losses to American Tony Thompson in 2013.

Price continues comeback

May, 7, 2014
May 7
7:08
PM ET
Heavyweight David Price, the 2012 ESPN.com prospect of the year and a 2008 British Olympic bronze medalist, will continue his comeback on June 7.

Promoter Sauerland Event announced on Wednesday that Price (17-2, 15 KOs) will face Yaroslav Zavorotnyi (16-6, 14 KOs) at the Sport and Congress Centre in Schwerin, Germany. The fight is on the card headlined by light heavyweight titlist Juergen Braehmer in a defense against an opponent to be named.

The fight will be Price's third since his disastrous 2013, in which he suffered back-to-back upset knockout losses to American contender Tony Thompson.

Following the loss, Price made wholesale changes to his team, signing with Sauerland Event and hiring new trainer Tommy Brooks. He also left England, fighting in Germany and Denmark.

The comeback began January in Germany with a first-round knockout of low-level opponent Istvan Ruzsinzky followed by a third-round knockout in Denmark of Ondrej Pala, a slightly better opponent, who dropped Price in the first round.

"I feel like I have really benefited from fighting away from home," Price said. "There is a lot less pressure and that has given me the opportunity to express myself more in the ring. In my last fight against Pala, I was calm and relaxed, and I was able to enjoy the whole occasion. I have definitely got my mojo back. I can't wait to get back into the mix with all the big names in the heavyweight division.

"Zavorotnyi is a strong, durable opponent. He has a decent knockout record and has gone the distance with some good boxers, including [top contender] Kubrat Pulev. He is definitely not someone I can overlook. No matter who is put in front of me I've got to put in a good performance and make sure I get the win."

SPONSORED HEADLINES