ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Ken Sarnoff, the agent for wide receiver Nate Burleson, tweeted Wednesday afternoon that his client's surgery to repair the broken radius and ulna in his left forearm went well.
Burleson broke the bones in a single-car accident early Tuesday morning on Interstate 696 in Farmington Hills, Mich., when he hit a center median as he was trying to stop a pizza box from sliding off of the seat.
@Nate13Burleson --- Surgery went well. More to come...
— Ken Sarnoff (@KenSarnoff) September 25, 2013
Burleson was Detroit's leader in receptions with 19 at the time of the accident.
ESPN football insider Ed Werder reported Burleson's surgery began around 1:30 p.m. A team source told Werder the surgery was to repair two clean breaks in Burleson's forearm.
Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Tuesday the team does not plan on placing Burleson on injured reserve because there is hope he could return before the end of the season. A team source told Werder that Burleson hopes to return in November and that he could be with his teammates on Detroit's sideline Sunday against Chicago.
The Lions could not place him on short term injured reserve, though, because they had already designated that slot to backup running back and special teams player Montell Owens before the first week of the season.
Detroit has multiple options to use in Burleson's place, including receiver Ryan Broyles and the possibility of either running back Reggie Bush or tight ends Joseph Fauria or Tony Scheffler in more slot and wide receiver roles.