Sanchez set to return after suspension

May, 9, 2013
5/09/13
10:38
AM ET
Luis-Leon SanchezPascal Pavini/AFP/Getty ImagesLuis Leon Sanchez is expected to make his first appearance in 2013 at this month's Tour of Belgium.
Luis Leon Sanchez is slated to return to racing with Blanco at the Tour of Belgium later this month despite ongoing doubts about alleged links to the Operation Puerto doping scandal.

Following reports in Spanish and Dutch media, the UCI WorldTour team confirmed that Sanchez would race, posting the news on its Twitter account Wednesday evening.

"News update: Luis Leon Sanchez will race the Baloise Belgium Tour," the team wrote.

Sanchez, 29, hasn't raced since all season after allegations about links to Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes resurfaced during the Puerto trial earlier this year.

Sanchez, who has been linked to the code name "Huerto" in the Puerto documents, has denied those allegations.

The Spanish rider challenged Blanco's decision to keep him out of races to the UCI. A press note from Sánchez said the UCI sided with his legal team, but the information could not be verified by the UCI on Thursday.

"This burden is finally ending," Sanchez told the local Spanish newspaper La Verdad. "I've been sidelined since January and it's time for me to race this season. No one knows how motivated I am or how long these past four months have been for me."

Sanchez has repeatedly denied he worked with Fuentes, who was recently found guilty of endangering public health as part of the Puerto scandal dating back to 2006.

-- VeloNews.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?