American Ryan Hall has joined the elite men’s field for the 2014 Boston Marathon, according to a news release distributed Monday.
“After watching the tragic events that unfolded at last year’s race and knowing the resilience of both the running and Boston communities, I knew this year’s race was going to be a run of redemption that I am eager to be a part of,” Hall said in the release. “This year’s race will undoubtedly be the most historically significant marathon in Boston's storied history."
Hall, who has run Boston three times, holds the unofficial American record of 2:04:58, which he set in Boston in 2011. Hall went on to place second in the U.S. Olympic marathon trials in 2012 but dropped out of the Olympic marathon in London because of injury.
Hall had planned to run the 2013 New York City Marathon but also withdrew from that race because of injury.
“I am incredibly excited to participate in this year’s Boston Marathon,” Hall said.
American Abdi Abdirahman and Kenyan Matthew Bowen also were added to the elite field. Abdirahman finished third at the 2012 U.S. Olympic trials and has top-5 finishes in both Chicago and New York.
“It has been a dream of mine to run the Boston Marathon,” Abdirahman said. “There is so much history behind the race, and I'm glad to be to be part of it this year.”
The release also announced three withdrawals from the men’s elite field including, American Dathan Ritzenhein due to a groin injury.
“April 21 will be a show of strength and community after last year's events, and I wanted so badly to be part of that,” he said. “But I am resilient and will be back.”
Moses Mosop of Kenya -- who finished second in Boston in 2011 -- and Jeffrey Hunt of Australia have also withdrawn from the 2014 race.